Finding mass of a planet when density varies with radial distance

In summary: Can you show us how you did the integration? I got \approx 4.1 \times 10^{24} kg. In summary, the density of a planet is given by ρ(r)= ρo(1- αr/Ro), where Ro= 3.98 x 106 m is the radius of the planet, ρo= 4980 kg/m3 is its central density, and α = 0.17. To find the total mass of the planet, an integral must be set up and the mass of each spherical shell of thickness dr must be summed up. This results in a total mass of approximately 4.1 x 1024 kg. To calculate the weight of a
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

The density of a certain planet varies with radial distance as:
ρ (r)= ρo(1- αr/Ro)
where Ro= 3.98 x 106 m is the radius of the planet, ρo= 4980 kg/m3 is its central density, and α = 0.17. What is the total mass of this planet ?

Calculate the weight of a one kilogram mass located on the surface of this planet.

Homework Equations

ρ = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

since ρ= m/v

then

m = ρv
v of a planet = 4/3∏ R^3
so i substitute the given info on the equations and got

m = ρo(1- αr/Ro) * 4/3∏ R^3
calculate all of those and I realize that i don't know what r is.

so I assume that r = Ro but I got the wrong answer

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the density changes with radius (r), you will need to set up an integration over the radius r and sum the mass shells from the center (r = 0) to the surface (r = Ro).

gneill said:
Since the density changes with radius (r), you will need to set up an integration over the radius r and sum the mass shells from the center (r = 0) to the surface (r = Ro).

i integrate the ρ as a function of r

3.98x10^6
∫ ρo(1- αr/Ro)dr

and got 3641700 as my answer

since ρv = m
and v = 4/3 ∏ Ro^3
m = 6.07x10^13

but its wrong, what did i do wrong?

Smartguy94 said:
i integrate the ρ as a function of r

3.98x10^6
∫ ρo(1- αr/Ro)dr

and got 3641700 as my answer

since ρv = m
and v = 4/3 ∏ Ro^3
m = 6.07x10^13

but its wrong, what did i do wrong?

The ρ(r) function only gives you the density at a given radius. It does not address the geometry of the object. You need to determine the mass of each shell of matter of differential thickness dr, and sum them all up (integrate). In this case the shells will be spherical, and of thickness dr. So first find an expression for the mass of a spherical shell of thickness dr.

gneill said:
The ρ(r) function only gives you the density at a given radius. It does not address the geometry of the object. You need to determine the mass of each shell of matter of differential thickness dr, and sum them all up (integrate). In this case the shells will be spherical, and of thickness dr. So first find an expression for the mass of a spherical shell of thickness dr.

m = ρv
∫m = ∫ρv ?
which results to same exact answer as before?

Since the density only varies as the radius, and not as the latitude and/or longitude, the volume element is
dV=4πr2dr
After all, the total volume of a sphere of radius R0 can be obtained from [itex]\displaystyle V=\int_0^{R_0}4\pi r^2\,dr\,.[/itex]

So the total mass of the planet is [itex]\displaystyle M=\int_0^{R_0}(ρ(r))4\pi r^2\,dr\,.[/itex]

SammyS said:
Since the density only varies as the radius, and not as the latitude and/or longitude, the volume element is
dV=4πr2dr
After all, the total volume of a sphere of radius R0 can be obtained from [itex]\displaystyle V=\int_0^{R_0}4\pi r^2\,dr\,.[/itex]

So the total mass of the planet is [itex]\displaystyle M=\int_0^{R_0}(ρ(r))4\pi r^2\,dr\,.[/itex]

i did that integration and got 1.147x10^24 and its still wrong...

Can you show us how you did the integration? I got [itex]\approx 4.1 \times 10^{24} [/itex]

Related to Finding mass of a planet when density varies with radial distance

1. How does the density of a planet vary with radial distance?

The density of a planet typically increases with increasing radial distance from its center. This is because the pressure and temperature at the core of a planet are higher, causing the materials to be more compressed and denser.

2. How is the mass of a planet calculated when density varies with radial distance?

The mass of a planet can be calculated using the formula M = ∫ρ(r)4πr²dr, where ρ(r) is the density at a given radial distance and r is the distance from the center of the planet. This integral accounts for the varying density at different distances from the center.

3. Why is it important to consider the varying density of a planet when calculating its mass?

The varying density of a planet affects its overall mass and can provide insight into its internal structure and composition. It is important to consider this when studying a planet and understanding its formation and evolution.

4. How is the density of a planet determined at different radial distances?

The density of a planet at different radial distances can be determined through various methods such as gravitational measurements, seismic activity, and remote sensing. These techniques provide data that can be used to calculate the density at different depths.

5. Can the mass of a planet be accurately calculated even with varying density?

Yes, the mass of a planet can still be accurately calculated even with varying density. By taking into account the changing density at different depths, scientists can use mathematical models and data from various sources to accurately calculate the planet's mass.