Finding Maclaurin Series of f(x)=sin(3t^2) up to Degree 4

In summary: Thus, we only need to keep the first term, 3t^2, in the integrand. Then, integrating from 0 to x gives us the desired series.
snoggerT
Find the MacLaurin polynomial of degree 4 for f(x)
f(x)= (integral from 0 to x) sin(3t^2)

[f^(n)(0)/n!]*x^n

The Attempt at a Solution

- I took the 4th derivative of sin(3t^2) and got:

f''''(x)= -108sin(3t^2)-1296t^2cos(3t^2)+1296t^4sin(3t^2)

Not real sure what to do from there. I plugged 0 in for t to find my f^(n)(0) and got 0,1,1,-1,-1 ...but I'm not sure if that's right. Can somebody please check my derivative and point me in the right direction for finding the series?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is easier than you're making it out to be.

Since f(x) is given by the integral, to get the degree 4 and lower terms in f(x), we need only the degree 3 and lower terms in the integrand. Then, since sin(z) = z + O(z^3), we have sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 + O(t^6), and so we need only keep the first term.

Avodyne said:
This problem is easier than you're making it out to be.

Since f(x) is given by the integral, to get the degree 4 and lower terms in f(x), we need only the degree 3 and lower terms in the integrand. Then, since sin(z) = z + O(z^3), we have sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 + O(t^6), and so we need only keep the first term.

- I understand what you're saying about only needing to go to the degree 3, but I'm not quite sure I get the sin(z) = z +O(t^6). Can you please explain that a little more?

sin(z) = z - z^3/3! + ... is the standard series for the sine function. If we substitute 3t^2 for z, we get sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 - 9t^6/3! + ... The t^6 and higher terms will not be needed, as they integrate to x^7 and higher, and we only want terms up to x^4.

Related to Finding Maclaurin Series of f(x)=sin(3t^2) up to Degree 4

1. What is a Maclaurin Series and how is it used?

A Maclaurin Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, where the function is infinitely differentiable, but it may be difficult to evaluate directly.

2. How do I find the Maclaurin Series for a given function?

To find the Maclaurin Series for a given function, you can use the formula:
f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)x^2)/2! + (f'''(0)x^3)/3! + ... + (f^(n)(0)x^n)/n!
where f(0) represents the value of the function at x=0 and f^(n)(0) represents the nth derivative of the function evaluated at x=0.

3. What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Maclaurin Series?

A Taylor Series is a generalized version of a Maclaurin Series, where the series is centered at any given point, not just x=0. A Maclaurin Series is a special case of a Taylor Series, where the series is centered at x=0.

4. How accurate is a Maclaurin Series approximation?

The accuracy of a Maclaurin Series approximation depends on the function and the number of terms used in the series. In general, the more terms included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, it is important to note that the approximation may only be valid within a certain interval around the center point.

5. How can I use a Maclaurin Series to solve real-world problems?

A Maclaurin Series can be used to approximate the value of a function in situations where it may be difficult to evaluate directly, such as in physics or engineering problems. It can also be used to simplify complicated functions and make them easier to work with in mathematical calculations.