Finding ez: Solving a 3D Vector Equation

• Thread starter hubluh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
In summary, the question is asking to find the value of ez in the vector e=1/3i+2/3j+ezk, which is a unit vector. The possible answers are 0, 1, 1/3, and 2/3. A unit vector has a magnitude of 1.
hubluh

Homework Statement

Find the value of ez if e = 1/3i + 2/3j + ezk

Homework Equations

Any help?

The Attempt at a Solution

Have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Im currently studying for an exam and I found this in past papers. I am using no book atm.

My only guess is that e is supposed to be a unit vector. Any idea if that is right? If not, is it possible for you to upload an image of the question? You might be omitting a key detail which you do not realize is important.

Likes hubluh
This is the exact question :" The vector e=1/3i+2/3j+ezk is a unit vector. Find ez?"
The possible answers are 0,1,1/3 and 2/3

hubluh said:
This is the exact question :" The vector e=1/3i+2/3j+ezk is a unit vector. Find ez?"

Do you know what a unit vector is?

Likes hubluh
hubluh said:
Do you know what it means for a vector to have a unit length (i.e. to be a unit vector)?

Likes hubluh
Ahh I get you know. It has a magnitude of 1.
Thanks so much

Related to Finding ez: Solving a 3D Vector Equation

1. What is "Finding ez" and what does it involve?

"Finding ez" refers to the process of solving a 3D vector equation, which involves finding the values of unknown vectors in order to satisfy a given equation. This can involve using mathematical principles such as cross products and dot products to manipulate and solve the equation.

2. Why is solving a 3D vector equation important?

Solving a 3D vector equation is important in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to model and understand the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space, which is essential for various real-world applications.

3. What are some common techniques used in "Finding ez"?

Some common techniques used in "Finding ez" include using the properties of vectors such as magnitude and direction, using vector operations such as addition and subtraction, and using geometric concepts such as angle relationships and projections.

4. Are there any challenges or difficulties in solving a 3D vector equation?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving a 3D vector equation, especially when dealing with complex equations or multiple variables. It requires a strong understanding of vector principles and mathematical skills, as well as attention to detail and problem-solving abilities.

5. How can "Finding ez" be applied in real-life situations?

"Finding ez" has many real-life applications, such as determining the trajectory of a projectile in physics, calculating the forces acting on a structure in engineering, and creating 3D animations in computer graphics. It can also be used to solve problems in navigation, robotics, and many other fields.