Finding Degree of Linear Polarization

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the degree of linear polarization (DoLP) of outside daylight at the horizon with the sun overhead, and the use of the reflectance equation to determine the S and P amplitude values. It also mentions the equivalent terms for S and P components and the method for determining the zero degrees angle for a piece of linear polarizing film.
pyroartist
I would like to measure the DoLP of outside daylight at the horizon with the sun overhead (midday in summer). Found this equation: DoLP = (reflectanceS - reflectanceP) / (reflectanceS + reflectanceP)
Where S and P are defined:
“The two orthogonal polarization planes are s, perpendicular to the plane of incidence defined by the
surface normal and the incident ray, and p, parallel to the plane of incidence.”
(A diagram showing what this statement refers to would be helpful as I am not familar with the terms used.)
I know that to get the S and P amplitude values I need to measure the light through a linear polarizer turned to one angle and then a different angle. Can someone tell me what two angles I need to rotate the polarizer?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
The English equivalent of S and P components are TE (transverse electric) and TM (transverse magnetic), respectively.
See pictures below for the orientation of each case:
te_case.gif

tm_case.gif

pyroartist said:
Can someone tell me what two angles I need to rotate the polarizer?
Based on the above pictures, how do you conclude about the angle through which you will have to rotate your polarizer?

It looks like they are 90 degrees apart, right?

Right.

Just one more question. How do you determine where to set a piece of linear polarizing film to get zero degrees?
Or can you just take any position and call that zero?
Thanks so much for your help!

pyroartist said:
Just one more question. How do you determine where to set a piece of linear polarizing film to get zero degrees?
Or can you just take any position and call that zero?
Thanks so much for your help!

The accurate method is to first get a rough idea of the angle by finding the minimum transmission, then rotating your polarizer 45 degrees and fine-tuning the angle such that you are at the halfway point: slight rotations CW and CCW will produce equal and opposite changes in transmitted intensity. Once that orientation is set, rotate precisely 45 degrees one way or the other.

Related to Finding Degree of Linear Polarization

1. What is the degree of linear polarization?

The degree of linear polarization is a measure of the amount of linearly polarized light in a beam of light. It is represented by a value between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates no polarization and 1 indicates full polarization.

2. How is the degree of linear polarization measured?

The degree of linear polarization can be measured using polarimeters, which are devices that analyze the polarization state of light. This measurement involves determining the ratio of the intensities of the perpendicular and parallel components of the light.

3. What factors affect the degree of linear polarization?

The degree of linear polarization is affected by the angle and wavelength of the incident light, the properties of the material through which the light is passing, and any external factors such as reflections or refractions.

4. What are the applications of measuring the degree of linear polarization?

The degree of linear polarization is used in various fields such as astronomy, remote sensing, and material sciences. It can provide information about the physical properties of materials, the composition of objects, and the structure of light sources.

5. How is the degree of linear polarization used in astronomy?

In astronomy, the degree of linear polarization is used to study the properties of celestial objects such as stars and planets. It can also help in detecting the presence of dust and magnetic fields in space and provide insights into the formation and evolution of astronomical bodies.