Finding a formula of a math problem

• Thread starter laker_gurl3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for the quantity A, which is proportional to X^2 and inversely proportional to (y-a)^3. The process involves substituting given values for x and y to determine a constant, which can then be used to find the final formula for A.
laker_gurl3
i don't know what to do for this question, what does it mean by A = 1 when x = 1 and y = 0 ? do i just sub it in or what? is this some sort of equation in an equation thingy?

The quantity A is proportional to X^2 and inversely proportional to (y-a)^3
Find a formula for A given that A = 1 when x = 1 and y = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post such questions in the Coursework Forum, not here !

First write A as a function of (x,y) using arbitrary constants. For instance if told that V is proportional to I, you can write the equation V=kI, where k is some constant.

Next you are told that when you substitute the given values of x and y, you get a certain value of A. This helps determine the value of such a constant. In my example, if told that V = 5 when I = 2, I have 5 = 2k, which tells me that k=2.5. So my Original equation can be becomes V = 2.5I

Last edited:
okay after following ur example, i have A=x^2, it's the inversely proportional part that i can't understand...

Last edited:
If you are told that A is inversely proportional to some z, then that is the same as saying that A is proportional to 1/z. Or A = k/z, where k is some constant.

"The quantity A is proportional to X^2 and inversely proportional to (y-a)^3"

A is "proportional" to B means A is just a constant times B: A= kB.

A is "inversely proportional" to B means A is a constant time 1/B or is a constant divided by B: A= k/B.

A is proportional to x2 and inversely proportional to (y-a)3 gives both: A= kx2/(y-a)3.

" given that A = 1 when x = 1 and y = 0" means that if you replace A in the formula with 1, x with 1, and y with 0, it is still true. That is:
1= k(12)/(0-a)3= -k/a3. You can use that to find k: k= -a3 (a was part of the original information but we are not given a specific value for a so all we can do is leave it in there.)
Putting that value for k back into the original formula,
A= -a3x2/(y-a)3.

Related to Finding a formula of a math problem

What is the process for finding a formula for a math problem?

The process for finding a formula for a math problem involves analyzing the given problem, identifying the variables and their relationships, and using algebraic manipulation to derive a general formula that can be used to solve similar problems.

Can any math problem be solved using a formula?

Not all math problems can be solved using a formula. Some problems may require other methods such as geometric reasoning or trial and error. However, many math problems can be solved using formulas, especially those involving patterns and relationships between variables.

How do I know if my formula is correct?

To ensure that your formula is correct, you can substitute the given values into the formula and check if the result matches the given solution. You can also use your formula to solve similar problems and see if it produces consistent results.

Can a formula be used to solve multiple math problems?

Yes, a formula can be used to solve multiple math problems as long as the problems involve the same variables and follow the same pattern or relationship. However, it is important to note that a formula may not work for every problem and may need to be adjusted or modified in some cases.

Are there any tips for finding a formula for a math problem?

Some tips for finding a formula for a math problem include identifying and understanding the given variables and their relationships, looking for patterns or recurring numbers, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the problem. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common formulas and their applications.