Find the volume of the solid formed by the rotation around the y=0

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating a function around the y=0 axis. The integral for the problem is discussed and it is determined that it should be integrated from 0 to π instead of 0 to π/2. The final volume is found to be (π^2)/8.
Michael_0039
Homework Statement
Find the volume of the solid formed by the rotation around the y=0
y=|sin(2x)*cos(2x)|
Relevant Equations
nil
Hi,

I find this...
picpic.png

Please tell me your opinion on this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_0039 said:
Homework Statement: Find the volume of the solid formed by the rotation around the y=0
y=|sin(2x)*cos(2x)|
Homework Equations: nil

Hi,

I find this...
View attachment 252926

Please tell me your opinion on this.

Thanks.
The integral itself looks right, although the graph of that function is zero at ##\pi/4##.

Did the question say to integrate from ##0## to ##\pi/2##?

PeroK said:
The integral itself looks right, although the graph of that function is zero at ##\pi/4##.

Did the question say to integrate from ##0## to ##\pi/2##?
Oops my mistake, it is: 0 ≤ x ≤ π

I have to fix it.

Thanks

So integrate from 0 to π: V=(π^2)/8

Related to Find the volume of the solid formed by the rotation around the y=0

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid formed by rotation around the y=0 axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid formed by rotation around the y=0 axis is V = π∫ab(f(x))2dx, where a and b represent the boundaries of the solid, and f(x) is the function that forms the boundary of the solid when rotated around the y=0 axis.

2. What is the difference between finding the volume of a solid formed by rotation around the y=0 axis versus the x=0 axis?

The main difference is that when rotating around the y=0 axis, the cross-sectional area is perpendicular to the y-axis, whereas when rotating around the x=0 axis, the cross-sectional area is perpendicular to the x-axis. This changes the limits of integration and the function used in the formula.

3. What are the common shapes that are formed when rotating around the y=0 axis?

The most common shapes that are formed when rotating around the y=0 axis are cylinders, cones, and disks. Other shapes such as spheres, toruses, and paraboloids can also be formed depending on the function used.

4. How is the volume of a solid formed by rotation around the y=0 axis different from the volume of a solid formed by revolution around a different axis?

The volume of a solid formed by rotation around the y=0 axis is calculated using a different formula and limits of integration compared to the volume of a solid formed by revolution around a different axis. The shape and orientation of the cross-sectional area also play a role in determining the formula and limits of integration.

5. In what real-life scenarios would finding the volume of a solid formed by rotation around the y=0 axis be useful?

Finding the volume of a solid formed by rotation around the y=0 axis can be useful in various situations, such as calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank, determining the volume of a cone-shaped object, or finding the volume of a pool with a curved bottom. It can also be used in engineering and design to calculate the volume of rotating components such as gears or turbines.