Find the Value of n in a Unique Factorial Problem with (n+1)!/(n-1)! = 56

• MHB
  • Thread starter ThomsonKevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, the conversation discussed a factorial problem where the answer (n=7) did not help in understanding the solution. The problem was solved by setting up an equation and finding the values of n. The solution was explained and clarified by writing out terms for the numerator and denominator. Ultimately, it was determined that the value of n is 7.
ThomsonKevin
Ok, I had never seen a factorial problem like this, and the answer(n=7) didn't help me much in understand the solution either.

If (n+1)!/(n-1)! = 56 , what's the value of n?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ThomsonKevin said:
Ok, I had never seen a factorial problem like this, and the answer(n=7) didn't help me much in understand the solution either.

(Wave)It is known that $n!=1 \cdot 2 \cdots n$.

$$\frac{(n+1)!}{(n-1)!}=56 \Rightarrow \frac{1 \cdot 2 \cdots (n-1) \cdot n \cdot (n+1)}{1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdots (n-1)}=56 \Rightarrow \frac{n \cdot (n+1)}{1}=56 \Rightarrow n \cdot (n+1)=56 \\ \Rightarrow n^2+n=56$$Solve the equation $n^2+n-56=0$ and you will find the values $-8$ and $7$.

But since $n \geq 1$ we reject the value $-8$, so we have that $n=7$.

ThomsonKevin said:

Let's try writing out some terms for the numerator and denominator.

\(\displaystyle \frac{(n+1)!}{(n-1)!}=\frac{(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)...}{(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)...}\)

See anything we can do from here? :)

EDIT: Oops, too late :(

Yes, Thank you both of you, it makes clear sense now.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of factorial and how it works. Factorial is a mathematical operation that multiplies a number by all of the positive integers less than it. For example, 4! (read as "four factorial") is equal to 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24.

Now, looking at the given equation, we can rewrite it as (n+1)(n)(n-1)!/(n-1)! = 56. This simplifies to (n+1)(n) = 56. We can then use algebra to solve for n.

Expanding the brackets, we get n^2 + n = 56. Rearranging the equation, we get n^2 + n - 56 = 0. This is a quadratic equation, which can be solved using the quadratic formula.

The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0. In our case, a = 1, b = 1, and c = -56.

Plugging these values into the formula, we get n = (-1 ± √(1^2 - 4(1)(-56))) / 2(1). This simplifies to n = (-1 ± √(1 + 224)) / 2, which further simplifies to n = (-1 ± 15) / 2.

Therefore, n can have two possible values: (-1 + 15) / 2 = 7 or (-1 - 15) / 2 = -8. However, since factorial is defined only for positive integers, n = -8 is not a valid solution. Therefore, the value of n in this unique factorial problem is 7.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding the solution better. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Find the Value of n in a Unique Factorial Problem with (n+1)!/(n-1)! = 56

1. What is a factorial problem?

A factorial problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the product of a given number and all the positive integers below it. It is denoted by the exclamation mark (!) and can be written as n!.

2. How do you solve a factorial problem?

To solve a factorial problem, you need to multiply the given number by all the positive integers below it until you reach 1. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

3. What is the significance of factorial problems in math?

Factorial problems are important in combinatorics, probability, and number theory. They help in counting and arranging objects in different ways and are used to solve various real-life problems.

4. Can a negative number have a factorial?

No, factorials are only defined for non-negative integers. It is not possible to find the factorial of a negative number.

5. What is the largest factorial that can be calculated?

The largest factorial that can be calculated depends on the computing power and memory of the computer. However, the largest factorial that can be accurately represented in a 64-bit system is 20! = 2,432,902,008,176,640,000.