Find the second derivative using the quotient rule

In summary, the conversation is about finding the second derivative of a complex function without using any calculators or tables. The student asks for advice and the expert suggests simplifying the function first before differentiating. The expert provides a step-by-step process for simplifying the function and suggests using the product rule for differentiation.
DieCommie

Homework Statement

[tex] \frac{d^2}{dz^2} [ (z^2) \(\frac{-(z-\frac{1}{z})^2}{20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})} \frac{1}{iz}] [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to do this by hand no calculators, CAS, or tables. I started by just expanding things and using the quotient rule, but it got real messy real fast. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is often easier to simplify first, and then differentiate. Let's see if we can rewrite your product of fractions:

[tex]z^2\cdot \frac{-(z-\frac{1}{z})^2}{20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})} \cdot \frac{1}{iz}
= \frac{z^2[-(z^2-2+\frac{1}{z^2})]}{20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})} \cdot \frac{1}{iz}
= \frac{-(z^4 + 2z^2 + 1)}{[20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})]z} \cdot \frac{1}{i}
= -\frac{z^4 + 2z^2 + 1}{20z+8z^2+8} \cdot \frac{1}{i}
= -\frac{z^4+2z+1}{8z^2+20z+8} \cdot (-i)
[/tex]

which finally simplifies to

[tex]i \cdot \frac{z^4 + 2z + 1}{8z^2+20z+8} =
\frac{i}{4} \cdot \frac{z^4+2z^2+1}{2z^2+5z+2} [/tex]

You can stop here and use the quotient rule for the first derivative; then differentiate the result to obtain the second derivative.

You may find it easier to write this fraction as a product (I personally consider the product rule to be cleaner and faster than the quotient rule, though they are equivalent in many respects).[tex]
\frac{i}{4} \cdot \frac{z^4+2z^2+1}{2z^2+5z+2} =
\frac{i}{4} (z^4+2z+1) \cdot (2z^2+5z+2)^{-1}
[/tex]

Using this form, just differentiate using the product rule, and don't simplify the result (because it makes finding the second derivative easier; we just apply the product rule again).

Last edited:

Related to Find the second derivative using the quotient rule

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of a tangent line drawn at that point.

Why is finding derivatives by hand important?

Finding derivatives by hand is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and how it changes in relation to its input. It also allows us to solve real-world problems involving rates of change and optimization.

What are the steps to finding a derivative by hand?

The steps to finding a derivative by hand are: 1) Identify the function and the variable that is being differentiated with respect to, 2) Use differentiation rules (such as the power rule or product rule) to simplify the function, 3) Substitute the value of the variable into the simplified function, and 4) Simplify the resulting expression to find the derivative.

Can all functions be differentiated by hand?

No, not all functions can be differentiated by hand. Some functions may be too complex or involve multiple variables, making it difficult or impossible to find the derivative analytically. In these cases, numerical methods or computer programs may be used to approximate the derivative.

How can finding derivatives by hand be applied in real life?

Finding derivatives by hand can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate velocity and acceleration, determine optimal solutions in business and finance, and analyze the behavior of systems in engineering.