Find the magnetic field at a point

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the magnitude and direction of the net magnetic field created by two parallel currents using the right-hand rule. The signs of the currents are shown to not matter in this case, but are typically important in determining the direction of the field. The final result is a net field of 10 μT in the ##-\hat{k}## direction. The use of \imath and \jmath in TeX is also mentioned.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

7_C4_B897_E-8_BAD-4246-8217-38_A002_ACAA7_D.jpg

Homework Equations

B=(μ0*I)/(2πr)

The Attempt at a Solution

B2 = (4*4*10-7)/(2*0.1)
= 8 μT
B1 = (3*4*10-7)/(2*0.1)
= 6μT
Could I know how to determine the directions ?

Attachments

• 7_C4_B897_E-8_BAD-4246-8217-38_A002_ACAA7_D.jpg
    7_C4_B897_E-8_BAD-4246-8217-38_A002_ACAA7_D.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 708
Physics news on Phys.org
Know about the right-hand rule ?

The directions matter (to some extent), but
do the signs matter ? They are only asking for a magnitude ...

BvU said:
Know about the right-hand rule ?
Yeah

Fatima Hasan said:
Yeah
So draw the arrows to find how you have to add them.

BvU said:
So draw the arrows to find how you have to add them.
B2 = 8μT (-j) , because the direction of I2 is (-i).
B1 = 6μT (i) , because the direction of I1 is (j)
So , Bnet = √(82+62) = 10 μT ?

Fatima Hasan said:
the direction of I2 is (-i)
I'd vote for ##-\hat k## :rolleyes:

BvU said:
I'd vote for ##-\hat k## :rolleyes:
So , B2 (##-\hat j##)
B1 (##\hat i##)

I agree. (I also agreed with #5, except for the directions of the currents :wink:)

I hope you now understand my frivolous 'do the signs matter': in this case just knowing that the field vectors are perpendicular is enough to get 10 ##\mu##T as answer. Normally the signs certainly do matter.

To boot a small ##\TeX## tip: Donald Knuth has provided \imath and \jmath so the hat and the dot don't pile up: ##\ \hat\imath,\ \hat\jmath ##

Likes Fatima Hasan

Related to Find the magnetic field at a point

What is the magnetic field at a point?

The magnetic field at a point is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force experienced by a charged particle at that point. It is measured in units of tesla (T) in the SI system.

How do you calculate the magnetic field at a point?

The magnetic field at a point can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (I / 2πr), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π * 10^-7 T*m/A), I is the current, and r is the distance from the point to the current-carrying wire. This formula is known as the Biot-Savart Law.

What factors affect the magnetic field at a point?

Several factors can affect the magnetic field at a point, including the strength of the current, the distance from the current-carrying wire, and the orientation of the wire relative to the point. The material surrounding the wire can also have an impact on the magnetic field.

What is the direction of the magnetic field at a point?

The direction of the magnetic field at a point is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

Can the magnetic field at a point be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the magnetic field at a point can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. For example, materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel, can redirect the magnetic field lines away from the point. Additionally, the use of a Faraday cage can effectively block the magnetic field at a point from outside interference.