Find the flux through the equilateral triangle with corners at

In summary, the flux through an equilateral triangle with corners at the points (1m,0,0), (0,1m,0), and (0,0,1m) in x,y,z space is 3*sqrt(3) or 5.1962.
apebeast

Homework Statement

Find the flux through the equilateral triangle with corners at the points (1m,0,0), (0,1m,0), and (0,0,1m) in x,y,z space (measured in meters) for an electric field with magnitude E=6N/C pointing
  • (a) in the z direction,
  • (b) parallel to the line y = x.

Homework Equations

Flux = EA;
Surface area of an equilateral triangle = (sqrt(3)/4)(a^2), where a = side of the triangle
Distance formula = sqrt(((x2-x1)^2) + (y2-y1)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I approached this using the equation:

Flux = EA, where "E" is 6 N/C.

I tried solving for A by using the formula for the equilateral triangle area: ((sqrt(3)*s^2)/4), where s
is the side of the triangle. I solved for the side using the distance formula.

Now, with all things in consideration, I plugged everything in:

E=6
A=((sqrt(3)*(sqrt(2))^2)/4); s=sqrt(2);

E=6
A=(sqrt(3)/2) or .867

Flux = 3sqrt(3) or 5.1962

Now, I put this answer for question (a), and still got the wrong answer. What am I doing incorrectly?

Thank you kindly for the help.

Nicu

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

apebeast said:

Homework Equations

Flux = EA;

This equation is valid only if the electric field is oriented perpendicular to the area surface. You should have covered how this equation is modified to handle other cases.

Find the area vector of the triangle. Remember that it should be normal to the triangle's surface and have magnitude equal to the triangle's area.

Go outside on a sunny day and hold your textbook out and look down at its shadow. How can you orientate the book to maximize the area of the shadow? To minimize it?
Can you think of a mathematical relation that will allow you to calculate the area of the shadow given the orientation of the book wrt the sun?
How does the area of the shadow relate to the flux through a surface as in your problem?

, your approach is correct but your calculations are slightly off. Let's go through the steps again to find the flux through the equilateral triangle.

1. First, we need to find the area of the equilateral triangle. The formula for the area of an equilateral triangle is A = (sqrt(3)/4)*a^2, where a is the side of the triangle. In this case, the sides of the triangle are all 1m, so a = 1m.

2. Next, we need to find the distance from the point (0,0,0) to each of the corners of the triangle. Using the distance formula, we get:

Distance from (0,0,0) to (1,0,0) = 1m
Distance from (0,0,0) to (0,1,0) = 1m
Distance from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1) = 1m

3. Now, we can plug these values into the equation for flux, Flux = EA. We know that E = 6N/C, so we have:

(a) Flux = (6N/C)*(1m)^2*(sqrt(3)/4) = (3sqrt(3)) N*m^2/C

(b) To find the flux with the electric field parallel to the line y = x, we need to find the component of the electric field that is parallel to the surface of the triangle. This can be done by finding the dot product between the electric field vector and a vector normal to the surface of the triangle. In this case, the normal vector is (1,1,1). So, the dot product is:

E dot n = (6N/C)*(1m,1m,1m) dot (1,1,1) = 6N/C

Now, we can find the flux:

Flux = (6N/C)*(1m)^2*(sqrt(3)/4) = (3*sqrt(3)) N*m^2/C

So, the answer for both parts (a) and (b) is Flux = (3*sqrt(3)) N*m^2/C. I hope this helps!

Related to Find the flux through the equilateral triangle with corners at

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a surface or region. In other words, it is a measure of how much "stuff" is passing through a given area or space.

2. How is flux calculated?

Flux is calculated by taking the dot product of a vector field and a surface, or by integrating the vector field over the surface.

3. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a type of triangle in which all three sides have equal length and all three angles are equal to 60 degrees.

4. How do you find the flux through an equilateral triangle?

To find the flux through an equilateral triangle, you would first need to express the triangle as a vector field, then take the dot product of the vector field and the surface to calculate the flux.

5. Can you find the flux through any shape?

Yes, you can find the flux through any shape as long as you can express it as a vector field and have a surface to take the dot product with. However, the calculations may be more complex for more irregular shapes.