Find The Distance And Speed By Using The Work And Energy Theorem

In summary: The speed of the block back down is the same as the speed it had at the bottom of the plane, when it was initially pushed up.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everybody,

I need some help to help the distance for part a. b) If the block comes back down after it was push, what is the speed back down.

A 3.25
kg block starts with a speed of 15 m/s at the bottom of a plane inclined at 35° to the horizontal. The coefficient of sliding friction between the block and plane is μk = .30.

thanks
Cbarker1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As the block slides up the incline plane, what forces are working to retard the motion of the block?

MarkFL said:
As the block slides up the incline plane, what forces are working to retard the motion of the block?

the force that move block up the incline plane and the friction force as well as gravity and normal forces.

Cbarker1 said:
the force that move block up the incline plane and the friction force as well as gravity and normal forces.

Well, the block moves up the incline because of its initial momentum, but as it slides, there is the force of friction and the force of gravity working to retard its motion. Can you quantify these forces?

$$f=\mu_k*N$$ and
$mg=<mgsin\theta,mgcos\theta>$

The magnitude of the force of kinetic friction is:

\(\displaystyle f_k=\mu_kn=u_kmg\cos(\theta)\)

And the magnitude of the force of gravity is:

\(\displaystyle f_g=mg\sin(\theta)\)

Now, as the block reaches it stopping point, at which time it has increase its height by $h$ and slid a distance of $x$ along the plane, we find:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-h^2}}{x}\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{h}{x}\)

Now, what is the initial energy of the block? What amount of work is required to bring the block to rest? What work have the two forces done during the time it took for the block to come to rest? What energy does the block have when it has come to rest?

MarkFL said:
The magnitude of the force of kinetic friction is:

And the magnitude of the force of gravity is:

\(\displaystyle f_g=mg\sin(\theta)\)

Now, as the block reaches it stopping point, at which time it has increase its height by $h$ and slid a distance of $x$ along the plane, we find:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-h^2}}{x}\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{h}{x}\)

Now, what is the initial energy of the block? What amount of work is required to bring the block to rest? What work have the two forces done during the time it took for the block to come to rest? What energy does the block have when it has come to rest?

the initial of the block is zero. $W=F*d*cos \phi$ where $\phi$ is 0 or $ \pi$
We have to add those forces together

\(\displaystyle f_g=mg\sin(\theta)\)+

Here's the way I would set this up. State the initial energy of the block (it has kinetic energy initially):

\(\displaystyle E_i=K_i=\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2\)

State the final energy of the block (it has gravitational potential energy):

\(\displaystyle E_f=P_f=mgh=mgx\sin(\theta)\)

Now, during the sliding of the block, some energy is lost to friction, and by the work-energy theorem, this is the work done by friction, hence:

\(\displaystyle \Delta E=-f_kx=-\mu_knx=-u_kmg\cos(\theta)x\)

\(\displaystyle E_f-E_i=-u_kmg\cos(\theta)x\)

\(\displaystyle mgx\sin(\theta)-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2=-u_kmg\cos(\theta)x\)

Solve this for $x$...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
Here's the way I would set this up. State the initial energy of the block (it has kinetic energy initially):

\(\displaystyle E_i=K_i=\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2\)

State the final energy of the block (it has gravitational potential energy):

\(\displaystyle E_f=P_f=mgh=mgx\sin(\theta)\)

Now, during the sliding of the block, some energy is lost to friction, and by the work-energy theorem, this is the work done by friction, hence:

\(\displaystyle \Delta E=-f_kx=-\mu_knx=-u_kmg\cos(\theta)x\)

\(\displaystyle mgx\sin(\theta)-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2=-u_kmg\cos(\theta)x\)

Solve this for $x$...what do you get?
$\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2)/(u_kmg\cos(\theta)+(mg\sin(\theta))=x$

Cbarker1 said:
$mgx\sin(\theta)-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2=-u_kmg\cos(\theta)x$

$-(mgx\sin(\theta)-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2)/u_kmg\cos(\theta)=x$

This is what I get:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{v_i^2}{2g\left(\sin(\theta)+u_k\cos(\theta)\right)}\)

edit: THis appears to match your edited post, although I simplified. :)

Now, can you reverse the process to determine the speed of the block at the bottom of the plane, when it slides back down?

Do I use the value that I get to find the value of the speed of block back down?

Cbarker1 said:
Do I use the value that I get to find the value of the speed of block back down?

As the block slides back down the plane, it initially has gravitational potential energy, and then when it reaches the bottom (after sliding distance $x$), it will have kinetic energy (with speed $v_f$), and just as with the first part, there is energy lost due to friction.

See if you can set this up similarly to how I set up the first part...:)

To follow up:

State the initial and final energies:

\(\displaystyle E_i=mgx\sin(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle E_f=\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2\)

State that the energy lost is due to the work done by the force of kinetic friction:

Plug in the known energies:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-mgx\sin(\theta)=-u_kmg\cos(\theta)x\)

Solve for $v_f$:

\(\displaystyle v_f^2=2g\left(\sin(\theta)-u_k\cos(\theta)\right)x\)

Plug in the value we found for $x$ in the first part of the problem:

\(\displaystyle v_f^2=2g\left(\sin(\theta)-u_k\cos(\theta)\right)\left(\frac{v_i^2}{2g\left(\sin(\theta)+u_k\cos(\theta)\right)}\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle v_f=v_i\sqrt{\frac{\sin(\theta)-u_k\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta)+u_k\cos(\theta)}}\)

Related to Find The Distance And Speed By Using The Work And Energy Theorem

1. What is the Work and Energy Theorem?

The Work and Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the change in an object's kinetic energy is equal to the net work done on the object.

2. How is the Work and Energy Theorem used to find distance and speed?

The Work and Energy Theorem can be used to find the distance and speed of an object by calculating the work done on the object and the initial and final kinetic energies. The distance can be found by dividing the work by the force applied, and the speed can be found by taking the square root of the ratio of the kinetic energies.

3. What are the units of measurement for work and energy?

Work is typically measured in joules (J), while energy can be measured in either joules or other units such as calories or electron volts (eV).

4. Can the Work and Energy Theorem be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the Work and Energy Theorem can be applied to any type of motion, whether it is linear, rotational, or a combination of both.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Work and Energy Theorem?

The Work and Energy Theorem is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the energy needed to launch a spacecraft, determining the force needed to stop a car, and understanding the efficiency of energy conversion in power plants.