Find the average shear stress at each pin

In summary, the conversation involves discussing a problem involving finding the correct reactions forces and shear stress for pins in a structure. The initial attempt at solving the problem resulted in incorrect reaction forces, but after recalculating, the correct solution was found. The issue of solving for shear stress in the pins is also discussed, with the question of why all pins have the same result.
ptguard1

Homework Statement

View image for all details

Homework Equations

tao = V/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and solved the force at BC and the x and y components at A, but I feel as though my solutions are incorrect. At BC I have F = 825 kN (up and to the left), A_x = 714.5 kN positive, A_y = 247.5 kN downward. I don't know how to solve the pins from here. The correct answer at each pin is 324MPa. I found the area to be 508.94mm^2 but am unable to find what force is pulling on each pin.

Attachments

• 7-38.png
    7-38.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 612
Physics news on Phys.org
ptguard1: Your area is correct. Your reaction forces are currently incorrect. If you want to show your work, someone might check your math.

I recalculated my solutions and found my mistake. F at BC = 165 kN (up and to the right), A_x = 142.89 kN to the right, A_y = 82.5 kN up. The issue I'm having is solving for the shear stress in the pins. I don't understand why all of the pins would have the same result.

For the pin at A, I interpret it as shown in the attached image

I used the equation A_x/Area, but i know that I need the force to be 165kN

Attachments

• 7-38 2.png
    7-38 2.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:

Related to Find the average shear stress at each pin

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a force that acts parallel to the surface of a material, causing it to deform or move. It is a result of two forces acting in opposite directions on the same plane.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. This is represented by the formula: τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the force, and A is the area.

3. Why is it important to find the average shear stress at each pin?

Knowing the average shear stress at each pin allows us to determine the overall strength and stability of the structure. It also helps us identify any potential weak points or areas that may need reinforcement.

4. What factors can affect shear stress?

The amount of force being applied, the area over which the force is applied, and the material properties of the structure can all affect shear stress. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and external loads can also impact shear stress.

5. How can shear stress be reduced?

Shear stress can be reduced by increasing the area over which the force is applied, using stronger and more durable materials, and reinforcing weak points in the structure. Proper design and maintenance can also help minimize shear stress.