Find Inverse Function of y=xSqrt(-2x): Solution Here

In summary, to find the inverse function for f(x)= x\sqrt{-2x} for x< 0, you need to solve the equation x= y\sqrt{-2y}, which involves squaring both sides and solving a cubic equation. However, the solution can be found with a little more effort.
Stun
how do I find the inverse function of y=xSqrt -2X

I have tried transposing it 6 times now but my results don't give the right answer for a 1:1 function for x<0

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean to find the inverse function for [itex]f(x)= x\sqrt{-2x}[/tex] for x< 0. Finding an inverse function is exactly the same a solving an equation. The point of "inverse" is that if [itex]y= f(x)= x\sqrt{-2x}[/itex], then [itex]x= y\sqrt{-2y}[/itex]. Solve that equation for y. (You will need to square both sides and eventually solve a cubic equation.)

No that's not what I meant but not to worry i found the solution with touch more effort.

Related to Find Inverse Function of y=xSqrt(-2x): Solution Here

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that undoes another operation. For example, if we have a function f(x) that takes in a value and squares it, the inverse function would be f^-1(x), which takes the squared value and returns the original value.

2. How do you find the inverse function of a given function?

To find the inverse function of a given function, we switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This means that the inverse function of y = f(x) would be x = f^-1(y). In other words, the inverse function "undoes" the original function.

3. What is the inverse function of y = xSqrt(-2x)?

The inverse function of y = xSqrt(-2x) is x = (y^2/2)^2. This can be found by switching the x and y variables and solving for y.

4. How do you verify if the inverse function is correct?

To verify if the inverse function is correct, we can plug in values for x and y and see if they satisfy both equations. For example, if we plug in x = 2 and y = 4 for the original function y = xSqrt(-2x), we get 4 = 2Sqrt(-4), which is true. Then, if we plug in x = 4 and y = 2 for the inverse function x = (y^2/2)^2, we get 4 = (4^2/2)^2, which is also true. This shows that the inverse function is correct.

5. Can every function have an inverse?

No, not every function has an inverse. A function must be one-to-one (or bijective) in order to have an inverse. This means that each input has a unique output and each output has a unique input. If a function is not one-to-one, it cannot have an inverse.