Find in-plane shearing stress parallel and perpendicular to the grain

In summary, in-plane shearing stress refers to the force per unit area that acts parallel or tangential to a surface, causing it to deform or slide. It can be calculated using the formula τ = F/A and is influenced by factors such as material type, applied force, and grain orientation. Environmental factors can also affect the shearing stress of a material.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The grains of the wooden member forms an angle of 15° with the vertical. For the state of the stress shown, determine (a) the in-plane shearing stress parallel to the grain, (b) the normal stress perpendicular to the plane.

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations

τx'y' = (-σxy)/2*sin(2θ) + τxycos(2θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some trouble understanding what is going on here. I can see that the is a 600 psi shearing stress applied at the sides and that there are no normal stresses, hence the first portion of the equation I gave above is zero, leaving me with:

τx'y' = τxycos(2θ)

where τxy is 600 psi.

Hence I get:

τx'y' = 600cos(2*15)
= 520 psi which i know is correct

Can someone describe what is physically happening?

For part b I know the answer is - 300 psi which I can get from:

τx'y' = τxysin(2θ)

= 300 psi but what makes it negative? and why does the cos change to a sin?

Attachments

• deforms 62.png
    deforms 62.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,002
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. It seems like you are on the right track in solving this problem. Let me try to explain what is happening physically and why the answer for part b is negative.

First, let's consider what is happening to the wooden member. It is being subjected to a shearing stress of 600 psi at the sides, as you correctly pointed out. This shearing stress is causing the grains of the wood to deform and rotate, forming an angle of 15° with the vertical.

Now, let's focus on the point where we are trying to determine the normal stress perpendicular to the plane. This point is located on the surface of the wooden member, at a distance from the sides of the member. At this point, the shearing stress is acting in the direction of the grain, which is at an angle of 15° with the vertical. This means that the shearing stress is not acting perpendicular to the surface at this point. In order to determine the normal stress perpendicular to the surface, we need to find the component of the shearing stress that is acting perpendicular to the surface.

This is where the trigonometric functions come into play. The normal stress perpendicular to the surface is equal to the component of the shearing stress that is acting perpendicular to the surface, which can be found by using the sine function. This is why in your equation for part b, the cosine function changes to a sine function.

Now, let's consider the direction of the normal stress. Since the shearing stress is acting in the direction of the grain, the normal stress will be acting perpendicular to the grain. In this case, the normal stress will be compressive, meaning it will be pushing the grains of the wood together. This is why the answer for part b is negative.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the physical concept behind this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Find in-plane shearing stress parallel and perpendicular to the grain

What is in-plane shearing stress?

In-plane shearing stress refers to the force per unit area that acts parallel or tangential to a surface, causing it to deform or slide. It is a type of mechanical stress that can occur within a material due to external forces.

How is in-plane shearing stress calculated?

In-plane shearing stress can be calculated using the formula τ = F/A, where τ is the shearing stress, F is the applied force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. It is important to note that the direction of the shearing force should be parallel or tangential to the surface.

What is the difference between in-plane shearing stress parallel and perpendicular to the grain?

In-plane shearing stress parallel to the grain occurs when the applied force is along the direction of the grain, while in-plane shearing stress perpendicular to the grain occurs when the applied force is perpendicular to the direction of the grain. This can affect the strength and deformation behavior of the material.

How does the grain orientation affect in-plane shearing stress?

The grain orientation of a material can greatly influence the distribution and magnitude of in-plane shearing stress. For example, materials with a parallel grain orientation tend to have higher shear strength, while those with a perpendicular grain orientation may have lower shear strength. This is due to the alignment and arrangement of the grains within the material.

What factors can affect the in-plane shearing stress of a material?

In-plane shearing stress can be affected by various factors such as the type and composition of the material, the direction and magnitude of the applied force, the grain orientation, and the presence of any defects or irregularities within the material. Environmental factors such as temperature and moisture can also play a role in the shearing stress of a material.