Find Domain Of: √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))

• Thread starter Plutonium88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the given function has a domain of all real numbers except for values of x that would make sin(5x) equal to 0 or negative, and the argument of the logarithm must also be positive. The function also has a range of all non-negative values.
Plutonium88

Homework Statement

√(log1/5(1/Sin5x))

Log to the base 1/5*(1/Sin5x)

FIND THE DOMAIN

I have an answer to this solution, I Just need some help with understanding it :(... and also could someone tell me if info is missing.

f(x) = √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))

Restrictions:

1/sin5x ǂ 0

sin5x ǂ 0

5x = ∏n
xǂ (∏n)/5

√(log1/5(1/Sin5x)) ≥ 0
(square both side)
(log1/5(1/Sin5x)) ≥ 0

1/sin5x ≤ 1

Sin5x ≥ 1

**** Sin M ≤ 1 ***** (this is refferring to the slope)

Sin5x = Sin(∏/2 + 2∏n)

5x = = ∏/2 + 2∏n
x = ∏/10 + 2∏n/5

ans: XE(∏/10 + 2∏n/5]

anyways i would appreciate if some one could help me understand this solution better. <3

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean log base 1/5:
[tex]\sqrt{log_{1/5}(\frac{1}{sin(5x)})}[/tex]
Yes, the sin(5x) in the denominator cannot be 0. Sine sin(x) is 0 for x any multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], that means 5x cannot be as multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex]:[itex]x\ne n\pi/5[/itex] for any integer n, as you say.

But also, logarithm is only defined for positive numbers so in addition to [itex]sin(5)\ne 0[/itex], we must have sin(5x)> 0. [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is positive for [itex]0< x\le \pi[/itex], [itex]2\pi< x< 3\pi[/itex], etc. We can write that as [itex]2n\pi< x< (2n1)\pi[/itex] for any integer n.

I don't know why you are looking at "[itex]\sqrt{log_{1/5}(1/sin(5x)}\ge 0[/itex]". That is a statement about the value or range of the function and has nothing to do with the domain. Rather, what is important is that in order that a square root exist, the argument must be non-negative. And [itex]\log(x)\ge 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]x\ge 1[/itex]. So we must have [itex]log_{1/5}(1/sin(5x))\ge 1[/itex] which means that we must have [itex]1/sin(5x)\ge 1/5[/tex] which, since we have already required that it be positive, is the same as [itex]5\ge sin(5x)[/itex]. For what x is that true?

HallsofIvy said:
I assume you mean log base 1/5:
[tex]\sqrt{log_{1/5}(\frac{1}{sin(5x)})}[/tex]
Yea my bad D:
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, the sin(5x) in the denominator cannot be 0. Sine sin(x) is 0 for x any multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], that means 5x cannot be as multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex]:[itex]x\ne n\pi/5[/itex] for any integer n, as you say.
This is clear.
HallsofIvy said:
But also, logarithm is only defined for positive numbers so in addition to [itex]sin(5)\ne 0[/itex], we must have sin(5x)> 0. [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is positive for [itex]0< x\le \pi[/itex], [itex]2\pi< x< 3\pi[/itex], etc. We can write that as [itex]2n\pi< x< (2n1)\pi[/itex] for any integer n.

I don't know why you are looking at "[itex]\sqrt{log_{1/5}(1/sin(5x)}\ge 0[/itex]". That is a statement about the value or range of the function and has nothing to do with the domain.

HallsofIvy said:
Rather, what is important is that in order that a square root exist, the argument must be non-negative. And [itex]\log(x)\ge 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]x\ge 1[/itex]. So we must have [itex]log_{1/5}(1/sin(5x))\ge 1[/itex] which means that we must have [itex]1/sin(5x)\ge 1/5[/tex] which, since we have already required that it be positive, is the same as [itex]5\ge sin(5x)[/itex]. For what x is that true?

When
5≥sin5x

For all X values, Sin5x will be less than 5..

Last edited:

Related to Find Domain Of: √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))

1. What is the domain of √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))?

The domain of a function refers to the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. In this case, the function is defined for all real values of x except for x=0 and x=kπ/5, where k is any integer. This is because the logarithm function is undefined for x=0 and the sine function is undefined for x=kπ/5, resulting in an undefined overall function. Therefore, the domain is all real numbers except for x=0 and x=kπ/5.

2. How do I find the domain of a function with a square root and logarithm?

To find the domain of a function with a square root and logarithm, we need to consider the restrictions on both the square root and logarithm functions. The square root function is defined only for non-negative values, so the radicand (expression inside the square root) must be greater than or equal to 0. Additionally, the logarithm function is defined only for positive values, so the argument (input of the logarithm) must be greater than 0. Therefore, to find the domain, we need to solve the inequalities √(log1/5(1/Sin5x)) ≥ 0 and log1/5(1/Sin5x) > 0, which results in the domain mentioned in the previous answer.

3. Can the domain of √(log1/5(1/Sin5x)) be negative?

No, the domain of this function cannot be negative because both the square root and logarithm functions are not defined for negative values. This means that any input value that results in a negative argument for the logarithm function will make the overall function undefined. Therefore, the domain is restricted to non-negative real numbers only.

4. Are there any other restrictions on the domain of √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))?

Yes, there is one more restriction on the domain of this function. The argument of the logarithm function, 1/Sin5x, must be greater than 0. This means that the sine function cannot equal 0, which occurs at x=kπ/5, where k is any integer. Therefore, the domain is also restricted to exclude these values.

5. How do I graph the function √(log1/5(1/Sin5x)) to visualize the domain?

To graph this function and visualize the domain, we can use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool. We can also manually plot points by choosing specific values of x and calculating the corresponding y-value. However, it is important to keep in mind the restrictions on the domain mentioned in the previous answers. These restrictions will result in breaks or gaps in the graph at x=0 and x=kπ/5, where the function is undefined.