Find Coordinates & Area of Triangles with Math Functions

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the graph of f(x)=3x-4 intersects the x-axis at point A (4/3,0) and the y-axis at point B (0,-4). The area of triangle OAB is 8/3, not -8/3.
Peter G.
The graph of function f (x) 3x - 4 intersects the x-axis at point A and the y-axis at point B.

Find the coordinates of:
a)

i) A
ii) B

b) Let O denote the origin, find the area of triangle OAB

So my answers:

i) 0 = 3x - 4
3x = 4
x = 4/3

Coordinates: (4/3,0)

ii) (0, -4)

so, for b: b x h / 2:
(-4 x 4/3) / 2
= - 8 / 3

But the book says it is: 8/3 √x - 4 + 3

Any help please?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Peter G. said:
The graph of function f (x) 3x - 4 intersects the x-axis at point A and the y-axis at point B.

Find the coordinates of:
a)

i) A
ii) B

b) Let O denote the origin, find the area of triangle OAB

So my answers:

i) 0 = 3x - 4
3x = 4
x = 4/3

Coordinates: (4/3,0)

ii) (0, -4)

so, for b: b x h / 2:
(-4 x 4/3) / 2
= 8 / 3

But the book says it is: 8/3 √x - 4 + 3

Any help please?

Thanks,
Peter G.
Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? y= 3x- 4 is a single line that intesects the x and y axes at specific points. The area of the triangle must be a number, not a function of x. Perhaps you are accidently looking at the book's answer to a different problem.

I think the book has been misprinted. Question 6 has questions a (i) and (ii) and b. Question 7 has questions a, b and c.

At the back of the book, question 7 has answers a and c, not b. The answer I got for 7 b was: √x - 4 + 3, which is put as part of answer 6 b.

So I think I settled that issue, but, I got as an answer negative 8/3 and the book has positive 8/3. Which one do you think is right?

Peter G. said:
So I think I settled that issue, but, I got as an answer negative 8/3 and the book has positive 8/3. Which one do you think is right?

It's positive. b should have been 4, not -4. The length of b is the distance from O (0, 0) to B (0, -4), and distances are positive, hence the positive 4.

Ok, thanks.

Related to Find Coordinates & Area of Triangles with Math Functions

1. How do I find the coordinates of a triangle?

To find the coordinates of a triangle, you will need to know the coordinates of all three vertices. These can be given to you in the problem or you can measure them on a graph. Once you have the coordinates, you can label them as (x1, y1), (x2, y2), and (x3, y3) to represent the three vertices of the triangle.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height. The base of a triangle is the length of one of its sides, and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex. You can use this formula to find the area of any triangle, regardless of its shape or size.

3. Can I use math functions to find the coordinates and area of a triangle?

Yes, you can use math functions to find the coordinates and area of a triangle. You can use functions such as distance formula, Pythagorean theorem, and trigonometric functions to calculate the coordinates of the vertices and the length of the sides. These functions can then be used in the formula for finding the area of a triangle.

4. What is the purpose of finding the coordinates and area of a triangle?

Finding the coordinates and area of a triangle is important in many fields, especially in geometry and engineering. It allows you to accurately describe the shape and size of a triangle, which can be useful in designing structures, calculating distances, and solving real-world problems.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should find the coordinates and area of a triangle?

Yes, there is a specific order in which you should find the coordinates and area of a triangle. First, you should find the coordinates of the vertices using the given information or graphing them. Then, you can use math functions to find the length of the sides and the height. Finally, you can plug these values into the formula for finding the area of a triangle to calculate the final answer.