Find Acceleration of Block M in Figure with Mass m at 0.8R

In summary: M is Mg. The net force on small m is mg*sin(θ) so the acceleration of small m is mg*sin(θ) = Mg*sin(θ)
homo-sapiens

Homework Statement

The face of block M in the figure below is shaped like a semicircular bowl of radius R. A mass m is placed at the top-left corner of the bowl and then let go. Find the acceleration of block M relative to the surface it is sitting on when m is a distance of 0.8R from the bottom of the bowl. There is no friction between M and m, or between M and the surface on which it sits. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g. Indicate the direction with the sign of your answer. Assume the +x-axis is to the right.)

http://puu.sh/bMIJx/03bb46a1d0.png

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

All i got so far, cannot figure out a way to solve for acceleration. I guess i am missing some equations but i just can't figure it out.
http://puu.sh/bMIMh/216e860f3a.png [/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the a in your equations? You have a ##ma\text{sin}(\theta)## term that I'm not seeing. So you have a block and a ball or whatever you want to call it, and there's the earth. How many forces are being exerted on little m? I see 3 in you're equation, but that equation for some reason doesn't look all that useful.

I personally don't see any reason to use centripetal equations of motion for this. What are the forces exerted on big M in the x direction and what are the forces on M in the y direction? (also, the problem statement says take +x -> which implies an acceleration in Cartesian)

The block is moving, better to use conservation laws - conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

ehild

Last edited:
the masin(θ) is the pseudo force of small block with respect to the big M.
Also, i don't think conservation of energy and momentum is viable in this case, since the question stated "Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g." i don't think i can just use Velocity out of nowhere.

The magnitude is not normal, but the direction of the force on small m is most definitely normal. Sum the forces on big M, then there will be 1 force you need to look at the forces on little m.

I should clarify not the net force.

homo-sapiens said:

The Attempt at a Solution

All i got so far, cannot figure out a way to solve for acceleration. I guess i am missing some equations but i just can't figure it out.
http://puu.sh/bMIMh/216e860f3a.png [/B]
The acceleration of M is related to the acceleration of the small mass sliding down on it, how?

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Find Acceleration of Block M in Figure with Mass m at 0.8R

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in this scenario?

The formula for calculating acceleration in this scenario is a = (m*g)/(m+M), where m is the mass of the block and M is the mass of the figure.

2. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in this situation?

The direction of acceleration in this situation can be determined by the direction of the net force acting on the block. If the net force is in the same direction as the motion of the block, the acceleration is positive. If the net force is in the opposite direction, the acceleration is negative.

3. Is the acceleration of the block dependent on the radius of the figure (R)?

Yes, the acceleration of the block is dependent on the radius of the figure. As the radius increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This is because the larger the radius, the more force is needed to move the block the same distance.

4. What is the relationship between the mass of the figure and the acceleration of the block?

The mass of the figure has an inverse relationship with the acceleration of the block. This means that as the mass of the figure increases, the acceleration of the block decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the acceleration of the block be greater than the acceleration of gravity (g)?

Yes, the acceleration of the block can be greater than the acceleration of gravity. This can happen if there is an additional force acting on the block, such as a frictional force. In this case, the acceleration of the block will be equal to the sum of the acceleration due to gravity and the acceleration due to the additional force.