Field along vertical axis to hemispherical shell

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a point on the symmetry axis of a hemispherical shell with uniform charge density. The solution involves using the cosine and sine rules and factoring the denominator to determine the value and sign of the vertical component of the field. There is also a discussion about choosing the correct option and clarifying the interpretation of the square root term.
user240

Homework Statement

A hemispherical shell has radius ##R## and uniform charge density ##\sigma##. FInd the electric field at a point on the symmetry axis, at position ##z## relative to the center, for any ##z## value from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\theta## be the angle from the horizontal axis and ##r## be the distance from a point on the vertical axis to a point on the shell. By the cosine rule,

$$r^2=R^2+z^2-2zRcos(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta) = R^2+z^2-2zRsin(\theta)$$.

The charge on a ring of the shell is ##dQ=2\pi R^2cos(\theta)d\theta##. Because of the symmetry of the shell, the horizontal components of the field cancel along the center axis so to take only the vertical component, we'll put in a factor of ##cos(\phi)##. From the sine rule,

$$\frac{R}{sin(\phi)} = \frac{r}{sin(\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta)} = \frac{r}{cos(\theta)}$$.

Therefore,

$$cos(\phi) = (1-\frac{R^2}{r^2}cos^2(\theta))^{1/2}$$

$$= \frac{(r^2-R^2cos^2(\theta))^{1/2}}{r}$$

Now putting back in the expression for ##r## in the numerator,

$$cos(\phi)=\frac{(R^2+z^2-2zRsin(\theta)-R^2cos^2(\theta))^{1/2}}{r}$$

Factoring out ##R^2## and replacing ##1-cos^2(\theta)## with ##sin^2(\theta)##,

$$cos(\phi) = \frac{(R^2sin^2(\theta)-2zRsin(\theta)+z^2)^{1/2}}{r}$$

Now I can factor the numerator in two ways, so either I get

$$cos(\phi)= \frac{((z-Rsin(\theta))^2)^{1/2}}{r}=\frac{z-Rsin(\theta)}{r}$$

or

$$cos(\phi) = \frac{((Rsin(\theta)-z)^2)^{1/2}}{r}=\frac{Rsin(\theta)-z}{r}$$

(I guess this is the same as taking either positive or negative square root?)

If I go with the first option, the integral I get (omitting constants) is

$$\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \frac{cos(\theta)(z-Rsin(\theta))}{(z^2+R^2-2zRsin(\theta))^{3/2}}d\theta$$

whose solution is

$$\frac{z-R}{z^2\sqrt{z^2-2Rz+R^2}}+\frac{R}{z^2\sqrt{R^2+z^2}}$$

This seems to agree with the given solution - the second option would've given me a solution with second term being negative.

My first question is how do I know which to choose?

Second question is, the solution says that the first term is either positive or negative depending on whether ##z## is bigger or smaller than ##R##. However, since you can factor the denominator to get ##\sqrt{(z-R)^2}##, can you just argue that it's either positive or negative depending on whether you take the positive or negative root?

Finally, please point out any dodgy reasoning!

Thanks.

Attachments

• hemisphericalshell.png
    hemisphericalshell.png
    2 KB · Views: 694
Physics news on Phys.org
user240 said:
However, since you can factor the denominator to get ##\sqrt{(z-R)^2}##, can you just argue that it's either positive or negative depending on whether you take the positive or negative root?
You can argue that ##\sqrt{(z-R)^2} = |z-R|.## This is equal to ##z - R## when ##z > R## and ##R-z## when ##z<R.## There is no "plus or minus" here. The radical is a positive quantity since it does not a have a negative sign in front of it.

Related to Field along vertical axis to hemispherical shell

1. What is a hemispherical shell?

A hemispherical shell is a three-dimensional shape that is half of a sphere. It is often used in scientific research and engineering applications.

2. What does "field along vertical axis" mean?

"Field along vertical axis" refers to the direction of an electric or magnetic field in relation to the vertical axis of a hemispherical shell. This means that the field is perpendicular to the surface of the shell and points either upwards or downwards.

3. How is the field along vertical axis to hemispherical shell calculated?

The field along the vertical axis to a hemispherical shell can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the field is being measured.

4. What factors affect the field along vertical axis to hemispherical shell?

The field along the vertical axis to a hemispherical shell is affected by the charge of the shell, the distance from the center of the shell, and the permittivity of the surrounding medium. It is also affected by the presence of any other charges or conductors nearby.

5. What are some real-world applications of the field along vertical axis to hemispherical shell?

The field along the vertical axis to a hemispherical shell has various applications in engineering and physics. It is commonly used in designing antennas, capacitors, and other electronic devices. It is also used in studying the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, such as in particle accelerators and fusion reactors.