Fast Computation of Fundamental Groups: Practical Methods and Tricks

In summary: Start with the free product and adjoin as relations.phi(f)psi(f)^-1 = 1 for every f in F.phi(f)psi(f) = 1 if and only if there is a cycle in the relations.
mich0144
So I've read through beginning alg topology really fast and there are a lot of theorems and methods for computing fundamental groups but what are the most useful tools? When asked to compute the fundamental group what should one do? try to find a deformation retract and compute the fund group of the retraction instead? use seifert van kampen immediately? what other practical methods are there for fast computation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seifert-Van Kampen is probably the best, although homology groups are more used than homotopy groups, mainly because homotopy groups beyond the first are nasty to compute.

I haven't gotten to homology yet but thanks

If you can see that the space is homotopic to something familiar, that's the easiest. If not, then try to decompose it with S-VK. For this it also helps to be familiar with the classification of compact connected 2-manifolds as quotients of polygons (a 4n-gon for the genus-n surface, and a 2n-gon for RP^n).

yea that's a good idea i know the 2manifolds classifications I think, is there a good book or any kind of document with lots of examples for using seifert van kampen I'm reading hatcher but it's a little too terse and my algebra background isn't too good

Massey's Introduction to Algebraic Topology does S-VK, but either way you'll want to know some algebra.

so if I were using seifert van kampen on a torus as an illustration. decompose it as U = torus with a hole, and V as a patch larger than the whole. now fundamental group of U is the figure eight which is Z*Z i think if I unroll it into a square and fundamental group of patch is trivial. fundamental group of the intersection which is an annulus is that of a retracted circle so it's the infinite cyclic Z. This is the part i don't get. seifert van kampen says pi(X) = free group of pi(U) and pi(V) / smallest normal subgroup (in other text it says its the kernel)

so I looked up amalgamated free product
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_product

phi:F -> G and psi:F -> H
where F is some random group
start with G*H free product and adjoin as relations :
phi(f)psi(f)^-1 = 1 for every f in F. In other words take the smallest normal subgroup N of G ∗ H containing all elements on the left-hand side of the above equation, which are tacitly being considered in G ∗ H by means of the inclusions of G and H in their free product. The free product with amalgamation of G and H, with respect to φ and ψ, is the quotient group

G*H / N

how exactly would I compute this for the torus for example. Most of the examples in hatcher have the trivial fundamental group for the intersection of U and V so pi(x) just reduces to the free group of the 2 individual fundamental groups. I think I understand free groups now but a little fuzzy on quotient group.

Last edited:
ok so I figured out some tricks you basically just mod it by the relation generated by identifying the edges of the polygon representation and set it equal to 1, this seems to work for most case.

Related to Fast Computation of Fundamental Groups: Practical Methods and Tricks

1. What is the fundamental group in computing?

The fundamental group is a mathematical concept used in topology to study the properties of a space. In computing, it is used to represent the structure of a network or system, where the nodes represent the components and the edges represent the connections between them.

2. How is the fundamental group calculated in computing?

The fundamental group in computing is calculated using algorithms and mathematical techniques, such as graph theory, to analyze the network or system. This allows for the identification of key components and their connections, which can help with troubleshooting and optimization.

3. What is the significance of the fundamental group in computing?

The fundamental group provides a way to understand the structure and behavior of a network or system. By analyzing the fundamental group, we can identify critical components, potential vulnerabilities, and potential ways to improve the overall functioning of the network or system.

4. Can the fundamental group be applied to any type of computing system?

Yes, the fundamental group can be applied to any type of computing system, including computer networks, distributed systems, and even software applications. It can also be used to analyze the relationships and dependencies between different systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the fundamental group in computing?

While the fundamental group can provide valuable insights into the structure and behavior of a system, it does have its limitations. It may not be suitable for highly complex systems, and the calculations can be time-consuming for large networks. Additionally, the accuracy of the results relies on the accuracy of the initial network representation.