Fascinating Properties: Excluding 998 from 0.001002003004...

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary: I'm going to have to play around with this a bit.In summary, the conversation discusses the interesting properties of the fraction $\frac{1}{998001}$ and how it can list out every 3 digit number except for 998. The conversation also delves into the underlying characteristics and factorization of the denominator, leading to a conjecture about a family of fractions of the form $\frac{1}{(10^n-1)^2}$. The conversation also mentions a shortcut for writing recurring decimals as fractions and how this method can be generalized to any valid radix. The conversation concludes with a comment about the generalizability of the conjecture and the interesting implications it has.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{998001}\) has some interesting properties. It will list out every 3 digit number except for 998.

It has the form 0.001002003004...

Here's a video on some more details if you're interested.

[video=youtube;daro6K6mym8]998001[/video]

Physics news on Phys.org
soroban once posted this observation and asked:

This is just one of a family of such fractions.
Can you determine the underlying characteristic?

I looked at the factorization of the denominator, and found:

$\displaystyle 998001=999^2$

So, next I looked at:

$\displaystyle\frac{012345679}{999999999}=\frac{1}{9^2}$

Thus, I conjecture that the family you speak of is:

$\displaystyle\frac{1}{(10^n-1)^2}$ where $\displaystyle n\in\mathbb N$

where the decimal representation contains all of the $n$ digit numbers except $\displaystyle 10^n-2$ and the period is $\displaystyle n(10^n-1)$.

I had a feeling when I was posting that soroban might have already said something about this :(

Yes, you are correct about this form. For example \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{9999^2}\) gives all of the 4 digit numbers.

In the video I posted in the OP they discussed an easy way to write recurring decimals as fractions that I'm sure we are all familiar with this method but it's still worth writing for those who aren't.

If you want to write some repeating decimal all you do is write the string as the numerator to a fraction and then in the denominator write the same number of 9's. For example, if you want to write \(\displaystyle .\overline{12436298}\) as a fraction. It's simply \(\displaystyle \frac{12436298}{99999999}\). Of course this method can be derived quite easily. If \(\displaystyle x=.12436298\) then $100000000x=12436298.\overline{12436298}$ so $9999999x=12436298$ and we can solve for x directly. However it's nice to know a shortcut to not have to calculate it "the long way" everytime.

Last edited:
This seems to generalize to an arbitrary base $b$, where:

$$\frac{1}{(b^n - 1)^2}$$

has representation in base $b$ containing all $n$-digit numbers (in base $b$) except $b^n - 2$ and with period $n(b^n - 1)$.

But I only checked a couple of bases, so this could be wrong.

Bacterius said:
This seems to generalize to an arbitrary base $b$, where:

$$\frac{1}{(b^n - 1)^2}$$

has representation in base $b$ containing all $n$-digit numbers (in base $b$) except $b^n - 2$ and with period $n(b^n - 1)$.

But I only checked a couple of bases, so this could be wrong.

I believe you are right, as the method Jameson outlined above can be generalized to any valid radix.

Not much to contribute to this conversation, I was just popping into say that this is really interesting!

Related to Fascinating Properties: Excluding 998 from 0.001002003004...

What are "Fascinating Properties: Excluding 998 from 0.001002003004..."?

"Fascinating Properties: Excluding 998 from 0.001002003004..." is a mathematical concept that involves removing the number 998 from the decimal expansion of a sequence of numbers, starting with 0.001002003004... and continuing in increasing order.

Why is the number 998 excluded from this sequence?

The number 998 is excluded because it has some unique properties when it is included in the sequence. By excluding it, we can observe and analyze the remaining numbers in the sequence more easily.

What are some of the fascinating properties of this sequence?

One of the most interesting properties is that the numbers in this sequence are all prime numbers. Additionally, the numbers in the sequence are arranged in a specific pattern, with every fourth number being a multiple of 4, every ninth number being a multiple of 9, and so on.

How is this sequence related to other mathematical concepts?

This sequence is related to concepts such as prime numbers, number patterns, and number theory. It also has applications in fields such as cryptography and data compression.

What is the significance of excluding 998 from this sequence?

By excluding 998, we can observe and study the remaining numbers in the sequence more closely. It also allows us to better understand the underlying patterns and properties of the numbers in the sequence, which can have implications in other areas of mathematics and science.