Factor an equation second order in ##x,y## with other variables

• Thread starter brotherbobby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Resolve into two or more factors : ##\large{\boldsymbol{2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy}}##.
Relevant Equations
1. ##a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)##
1706337399659.png
Statement of the problem :
Let me copy and paste to the right the problem as it appears in the text.

Attempt : I couldn't go far into the solution. Below is my hopeless attempt.

1706337172892.png

Request : Any hints would be welcome.

[There are no solutions provided, but the answers are at the back of the text. I don't want to cheat my way out by looking at the factorised answer and then working my way back, though I admit it can lead to some learning too in the process]

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm not sure, wolfram does this very fast and it gives 2 factors with 3 terms each that is $$(A+B+C)(D+E+F)$$

Thanks but how to go about it? I have the answer already at the back of the text, am sure, but that doesn't help. :-(

Well I don't know, looking at the wolfram answer the terms are +-(ax) +-(by) +-(cy), so I guess something like full expand the expression and then try to identify these terms and/or their squares.

The website is good as a check, but not one to learn mathematics from.
I'd like to do it the old way, not least because my text is from the 1800's!

• Informative
Likes DaveE, fresh_42 and Delta2
My original idea before looking at wolfram was to write $$(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2=3(b-c)^2y^2-c(b-c)y^2$$ and see if that helps but I abandon it maybe this idea inspires you but I very much doubt it.

Why so? Not bad at all. Let me give it a try.
I am clueless with this problem so every little helps.

brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement: Resolve into two or more factors : ##\large{\boldsymbol{2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy}}##.
Relevant Equations: 1. ##a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)##

View attachment 339261Statement of the problem : Let me copy and paste to the right the problem as it appears in the text.

Attempt : I couldn't go far into the solution. Below is my hopeless attempt.

View attachment 339259

Request : Any hints would be welcome.

[There are no solutions provided, but the answers are at the back of the text. I don't want to cheat my way out by looking at the factorised answer and then working my way back, though I admit it can lead to some learning too in the process]
Why not multiply back your factored form see if you get back your initial expression?

What comes to mind is "completing the square". We have ...
\begin{align*}
2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy&=2a^2x^2-(6b^2-14bc+8c^2)y^2+abxy\\
&=2a^2x^2-(6b^2-14bc+(49/6)c^2)y^2+abxy + (1/6)c^2y^2\\
&=2a^2x^2 -(\sqrt{6}b-(7c/\sqrt{6}))^2 +abxy + (1/6)c^2y^2\\
&\ldots
\end{align*}
... but I admit that I don't have a clue how to go on.

Another idea is to use only the terms with a coefficient ##a## first ...
\begin{align*}
2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy&=\left(\sqrt{2}ax+\dfrac{by}{2\sqrt{2}}\right)^2-\dfrac{b^2}{8}y^2 \ldots\\
\phantom{2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy=}&\ldots -\left(\sqrt{6}b-\dfrac{7c}{\sqrt{6}}\right)^2 + \dfrac{c^2}{6}y^2\\
&=\ldots
\end{align*}
... which looks as if ##(A-B)(A+B)=A^2-B^2## could now be applied twice.

This exercise looks like it is meant to practice all variations of the formulas ##(A\pm B)(A\mp B)=\ldots ## and completing the square.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and Delta2
Cant see the full solution in wolfram cause I don't have subscription there but it claims as first step to split the product $$4a^2y^2(3b-4c)(b-c) $$into two factors that have sum ##aby##. Those AI engines can be amazing but I don't think a human could think that unless of course he was thinking this for like days.

Delta2 said:
Cant see the full solution in wolfram cause I don't have subscription there but it claims as first step to split the product $$4a^2y^2(3b-4c)(b-c) $$into two factors that have sum ##aby##. Those AI engines can be amazing but I don't think a human could think that unless of course he was thinking this for like days.
That human didn't need to think. I guess he just expand sth like (ax+b+c)(ax+y-c) to get sth else and asks us to find first two factors. I can't see how it helps to learn sth it's more similar to a puzzle.

I don't know why Latex doesn't work in my posts anymore ...

MatinSAR said:
It requires refreshing the page occasionally.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
That human didn't need to think. I guess he just expand sth like (ax+b+c)(ax+y-c) to get sth else and asks us to find first two factors. I can't see how it helps to learn sth it's more similar to a puzzle.

as human here you mean the problem setter? I was talking about the guy that tries to solve this problem.

Likes MatinSAR
fresh_42 said:
It requires refreshing the page occasionally.
Thanks.
Delta2 said:
as human here you mean the problem setter?
Yes. I misunderstood your idea. Sorry.

Likes Delta2
Given the coefficient of [itex]x^2[/itex] is [itex]2a^2[/itex], it makes sense to look for a solution [tex]
2(ax + By)(ax + Dy) = 2a^2x^2 + 2a(B + D)xy + 2BDy^2.[/tex] Since [itex]p = B + D[/itex] and [itex]q = BD[/itex] are known, we can find [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex] as the roots of [tex]
z^2 - pz + q = 0.[/tex]

Since those factors involve square roots, we can instead try [tex](2ax + By)(ax + Dy) = 2a^2x^2 + a(B + 2D)xy + BDy^2.[/tex] which leads to [itex]B + 2D = b[/itex] and [itex]BD = -2(3b - 4c)(b - c)[/itex] which by inspection has a solution [itex]B = -(3b - 4c), D = 2(b - c)[/itex].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DaveE, e_jane, MatinSAR and 1 other person