F(x,y) and change of variables

In summary, the homework statement is confusing, the attempted solution is difficult, and the next steps are unclear.
gamma-ray-burst

Homework Statement

f(x,y) a function of two variables.
x = 2u
y = u-3v

Using a change of variables, transform the equation (d²f/dx²) + (df/dy) = 0
into the coordinates system {u,v}.

Homework Equations

We have kind of a replacement teacher for the session and it is his first time giving the course. He almost doesn't give examples and well he's pretty bad :( The problem is that the exams and homeworks are the same for every group, so whenever we get an homework much of what is in it is mostly unknown to us (questions made by the other teachers of the other groups).
So anyways, I'll stop moaning. I quite don't understand what I have to do. If someone could just point me in some direction, I'd be glad.

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I do the partial derivatives? Where do I use the change of variables?

Oyoyoy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the chain rule for partial derivatives. E.g. df/du=(df/dx)*(dx/du)+(df/dy)*(dy/du) (all partial derivatives). Try looking that up.

Oooh yes, that definitely rings a bell.
I'll try that tonight, thanks :D

Hey hmm, the partial derivative in x of "e^(xy)", is it zero?

No, why would you think that? Is this a different problem?

Ok now, sorry I was fooling around with the other numbers of the homework.
So should I do something like, assuming f = f(x,y), :

df/du = (df/dx)(dx/du) + (df/dy)(dy/du)
and
df/dv = (df/dx)(dx/dv) + (df/dy)(dy/dv)

But then what does it means to transform the equation into the coordinates system {u,v}?

It means to get a corresponding equation in the variable u and v rather than x and y!
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]
In particular, with your x= 2u, y= u- 3v, you will need u and v in terms of x and y so solve the 2equation: u= x/2, y= (x/2)- 3v: 3v= (x/2)- y: v= x/6- y/3.
From that
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= 0[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}= -1/3[/tex]
so
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= -\frac{1}{3}\frac{\partial f}{\partial v}[/tex]

And there was light.
Wow thanks now that's clear :D
So now I just have to find d²f/dx² = d/dx [(df/du)(du/dx) + (df/dv)(dv/dx)] (or I'm not sure, got to check my notes about composed functions) and rewrite the equation with the new values found? Like "what I'm about to find" + -1/3 (df/dv) = 0 ?
That is wonderful.

Yes. Be careful about the second derivative. Write out the first derivative and then apply the same chain rule when differentiating that.

Ok so now I have :

d²f/dx² = d/dx [ 1/2 (df/du) + 1/6 (df/dv) ]
Is this right?
Damn I feel so stupid because I feel that it's not that hard :(
I'm not even sure about the next steps.
I think I need a drink.

And wouldn't dy/du = 1 because they are independant or something?
f(2u, u-3v)
Or I'm talking crap.
oyoyoy

Related to F(x,y) and change of variables

1. What is the purpose of using a change of variables in an F(x,y) equation?

A change of variables allows us to transform a given equation into a different form, making it easier to solve or analyze. It can also help in visualizing the relationship between different variables in the equation.

2. How do you determine the appropriate variables to use in a change of variables for an F(x,y) equation?

The appropriate variables to use in a change of variables are typically chosen based on the symmetry or patterns observed in the given equation. For example, if an equation has circular symmetry, polar coordinates may be a better choice for the change of variables.

3. Can a change of variables affect the overall solution of an F(x,y) equation?

Yes, a change of variables can affect the overall solution of an F(x,y) equation. The transformed equation may have a simpler form or may lead to easier integration, resulting in a different solution.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for performing a change of variables in an F(x,y) equation?

Yes, there are some rules and guidelines to follow when performing a change of variables. These include ensuring that the new variables are independent, and making sure that the Jacobian determinant of the transformation is non-zero.

5. Can a change of variables be used in any type of F(x,y) equation?

Yes, a change of variables can be used in any type of F(x,y) equation as long as the new variables are appropriate and the transformation is valid. However, it may not always result in a simpler or more solvable equation.