Expressing as a single fraction

• Thread starter Theinvoker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the person was trying to figure out how to add fractions with more than 2 parts and was stuck on a problem that they had never been able to solve before. They found the forums and were able to find some help. The practice question they were given was a fraction addition problem that was easier to solve than they thought it would be.
Theinvoker
Hiya,

Just found the forums and loving them so far, going to spend some time tomorrow trauling through some of the intersting discusssions I've seen.
I am starting a course soon and have been going over some maths problems to prepare, however there is one that I never used to be able to figure out and turns out i still can't lol It's todo with adding fractions with more than 2 parts.

The practice question I have here is:

1/2(x+4) + 3/(x+4)^2 + 1/2

I can see without too much trouble that the common denominator is 2(x+4)^2 but the closest I have got to the correct answer is x^2+x+25 / 2(x+4)^2 and according to the answers its slightly wrong.

I am fine when it's just 2 fractions to be added but can't understand how you get the answer when its 3 or more.

If anyone could help explain it would be most appreciated :)

Regards,

Theinvoker

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1/(2(x+4)) (I assume that's what you mean, you should use more parentheses), multiply top and bottom by (x+4) for the second term multiply top and bottom by 2 and for the last one by (x+4)^2. Now they are all over your common denominator. What's the sum of the numerators?

Theinvoker said:
Hiya,

Just found the forums and loving them so far, going to spend some time tomorrow trauling through some of the intersting discusssions I've seen.
I am starting a course soon and have been going over some maths problems to prepare, however there is one that I never used to be able to figure out and turns out i still can't lol It's todo with adding fractions with more than 2 parts.

The practice question I have here is:

1/2(x+4) + 3/(x+4)^2 + 1/2

I can see without too much trouble that the common denominator is 2(x+4)^2 but the closest I have got to the correct answer is x^2+x+25 / 2(x+4)^2 and according to the answers its slightly wrong.

I am fine when it's just 2 fractions to be added but can't understand how you get the answer when its 3 or more.

If anyone could help explain it would be most appreciated :)

Regards,

Theinvoker

[tex]\frac{a}{u}+\frac{b}{v}+\frac{c}{w}=\frac{v*w*a+u*w*b+u*v*c}{u*v*w}[/tex]
follow the pattern generalizing it further to n fractions...

in ur specific case v = u^2 which leads to simplifcations but the formula above would help if in the general sense..

Last edited:
Forget the formula. You got the common denominator. That's half the battle. Now multiply top and bottom of each fraction by what's lacking from the common denominator. Formula? Jeez.

Dick said:
Forget the formula. You got the common denominator. That's half the battle. Now multiply top and bottom of each fraction by what's lacking from the common denominator. Formula? Jeez.

I thought the original poster wanted to understand how to add/sub for more than 2 fractions...

I suspect the poster has already memorized a formula for two fractions. I wouldn't give the OP a formula for three. The procedure for adding doesn't depend on a formula. Just a pedagogical notion. Sorry if I seemed dismissive of your contribution.

Dick said:
I suspect the poster has already memorized a formula for two fractions. I wouldn't give the OP a formula for three. The procedure for adding doesn't depend on a formula. Just a pedagogical notion. Sorry if I seemed dismissive of your contribution.

the procedure works for fraction addition and makes sense,doesnt it??

What procedure? Finding a common denominator and learning how to use it makes sense.

The point is, do you really think it is a good thing for someone to memorize a formula for adding two fractions, a different formula for adding three, fractions, still a different formula for adding four fractions, ... ? Far better to understand that once you have changed each fraction, no matter how many there are, to the common denominator, you just add the numerators.

Thanks for all the help. I thought I had it so I went back to the question and followed what was said, but I still get the wrong answer :(

My workings:

1/2(x+4) + 3/(x+4)^2 + 1/2 =

1(x+4) + 6 + 1(x+4)^2 / 2(x+4)^2 =

x^2 + x + 26 / 2(x+4)^2

I've been over it and over it and all seems to be right, but the answer in the book is x^2 + 9x + 26 / 2(x+4)^2 and I can't see where you get 9x from for the life of me lol.

Thanks again.

Use more parentheses. 1+2/1 can be either 3/2, (1+2)/1 or 3, 1+(2/1). You might know what you mean but somebody else might not. That said, your problem is that (x+4)^2 is not equal to x^2+4^2. (1+4)^2=5^2=25. 1^2+4^2=17. They aren't the same. What went wrong?

1(x+4)^2 = (x+4)(x+4) = x^2 + 8x +16 add that to the rest and you get the right answer! Yay! :)

Thank you very much! If it had been explained to me like that 10 years ago I might have got it sooner (except the last (x+4)^2 bit that as me being a plonker hehe).

Thanks again for all the help, sure Ill be back again when the course starts if not before, and once I start picking up new knowledge off it, help others out that are where i am now :)

Related to Expressing as a single fraction

What is meant by "expressing as a single fraction"?

"Expressing as a single fraction" refers to combining two or more fractions into one simplified fraction. This is done by finding a common denominator and then adding or subtracting the numerators.

How do you express two fractions as a single fraction?

To express two fractions as a single fraction, follow these steps:
1. Find a common denominator for both fractions.
2. Convert each fraction to have the same denominator.
3. Add or subtract the numerators.
4. Simplify the resulting fraction, if necessary.

What is a common denominator?

A common denominator is a number that is divisible by all the denominators in a set of fractions. For example, the common denominator of 1/2 and 1/3 is 6, because both fractions can be converted to have 6 as their denominator.

Can all fractions be expressed as a single fraction?

Yes, all fractions can be expressed as a single fraction. However, some fractions may already be in their simplest form and do not need to be expressed as a single fraction.

Why is it important to express fractions as a single fraction?

Expressing fractions as a single fraction makes them easier to work with and compare. It also allows for simpler and more accurate calculations, especially when dealing with larger numbers or more complex equations.