Express the length y of the building as a function of the width x

In summary, the problem involves finding the length and cost of walls in a small office unit with 500 sq ft of floor space. The length of the building is expressed as a function of the width, and the cost of the walls is expressed as a function of the width, disregarding wall space above the doors and wall thickness. The solution involves finding the perimeter of the building and multiplying it by $100. However, the given answer in the book does not match the diagram, indicating that the computation of wall material length may be incorrect.
lolilovepie

Homework Statement

A small office unit is to contain 500 feet sq of floor space.

(a) Express the length y of the building as a function of the width x.

(b) If the walls cost $100 per running foot, express the cost
C of the walls as a function of the width x. (Disregard the wall space above the doors and the thickness of the walls.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I kept getting a different answer then the back in the book. :\

(a) Area=xy, so 500=xy, y=500/x
(b) Perimeter=2(x+y), so perimeter=2(x+500/x)=2((x^2+500)/x). The cost C is $100*perimeter, so C=$100*2((x^2+500)/x)=200((x^2+500)/x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To help you we need to see your working, not the correct working from the book.

The book's answers mostly ARE the steps. They should be understandable.

lolilovepie said:

Homework Statement

A small office unit is to contain 500 feet sq of floor space.

(a) Express the length y of the building as a function of the width x.

(b) If the walls cost $100 per running foot, express the cost
C of the walls as a function of the width x. (Disregard the wall space above the doors and the thickness of the walls.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I kept getting a different answer then the back in the book. :\

(b) Perimeter=2(x+y), so perimeter=2(x+500/x)=2((x^2+500)/x). The cost C is $100*perimeter, so C=$100*2((x^2+500)/x)=200((x^2+500)/x)
This is the answer in the book? If you keep getting a different answer, we can't tell you what you did wrong unless you tell us what you did!

This part is my work listed below! not the answer from the book! (sorry for the confusion) :

lolilovepie said:
This part is my work listed below! not the answer from the book! (sorry for the confusion) :

(b) Perimeter=2(x+y), so perimeter=2(x+500/x)=2((x^2+500)/x).
The cost C is $100*perimeter, so C=$100*2((x^2+500)/x)=200((x^2+500)/x)

What's the answer that's given in the book?

I didn't realize that the above was your work (your OP wasn't clear on this), so I will rescind the notification I gave you earlier.

lolilovepie said:

As you may have judged from the responses so far, we all agree with your working! What is the answer in the book?
Btw, I notice it says "Disregard the wall space above the doors". Are you told the number and width of the doors, or should it say "disregard that some wall will be displaced by doors"?

Mark44 said:
What's the answer that's given in the book?

I didn't realize that the above was your work (your OP wasn't clear on this), so I will rescind the notification I gave you earlier.

The answer in the book was a) y(x)=500/x b) c(x)=300x+(100,000/x) -600

it also came with this image (forgot to post it) : http://tinypic.com/r/2d9w9xk/5

haruspex said:
As you may have judged from the responses so far, we all agree with your working! What is the answer in the book?
Btw, I notice it says "Disregard the wall space above the doors". Are you told the number and width of the doors, or should it say "disregard that some wall will be displaced by doors"?

sorry, it also came with this picture that i forgot to post : http://tinypic.com/r/2d9w9xk/5
yeah , that's all it say

lolilovepie said:
sorry, it also came with this picture that i forgot to post : http://tinypic.com/r/2d9w9xk/5
yeah , that's all it say

Your computation of wall material length (what you call the perimeter) does not match the diagram. Start again!

Related to Express the length y of the building as a function of the width x

1. What does it mean to express the length of a building as a function of the width?

Expressing the length of a building as a function of the width means finding a mathematical relationship between the length and width of the building. This relationship can be represented as an equation, where the length (y) is dependent on the width (x).

2. Why is it important to express the length of a building as a function of the width?

By expressing the length of a building as a function of the width, we can easily calculate the length for any given width. This is especially useful in construction and architecture, where precise measurements are necessary for building design and planning.

3. How do you express the length of a building as a function of the width?

To express the length of a building as a function of the width, we use a mathematical equation with the length (y) as the dependent variable and the width (x) as the independent variable. The equation can be determined by analyzing the dimensions and proportions of the building.

4. Can the length of a building be expressed as a function of multiple variables?

Yes, the length of a building can be expressed as a function of multiple variables, such as the width and height. In this case, the equation would include all the relevant variables and their corresponding coefficients.

5. What are the units of measurement for the length and width in the function?

The units of measurement for the length and width in the function can vary depending on the context. In most cases, they would be in standard units such as meters or feet. However, it is important to ensure that the units for both variables are consistent in the equation.