Express e^x from 1 to 8 as a Riemann Sum. Please, check my work?

In summary: ...from i=7 to i=n, then we would only be considering the rectangles starting from the 7th one and going all the way to the nth one.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
Express e^x from 1 to 8 as a Riemann Sum. Please, check my work? :)

1. Express ∫1 to 8 of e^xdx as a limit of a Riemann Sum.

(Please ignore the __ behind the n's. The format is not kept without it...)

_____n
2. lim Ʃ f(xi)(Δx)dx
x→∞ i=1

Δx= (b-a)/n = 8-1/n = 7/n

xi= 1 + 7i/n

____n
lim Ʃ (1 + 7i/n)(7/n)
x→∞

It also says to keep it in terms of i and n. So... is that the answer then?

Physics news on Phys.org

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:

_____n
2. lim Ʃ f(xi)(Δx)dx
x→∞ i=1

xi= 1 + 7i/n

____n
lim Ʃ (1 + 7i/n)(7/n)
x→∞

What happened to your function (e^x)? Surely it must appear in the answer. Also, what does [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}[/itex] refer to, when the rest of the expression doesn't depend on [itex]x[/itex]? Also please indicate exactly what values of [itex]i[/itex] you are summing over.

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:

. n
2. lim Ʃ f(xi)(Δx)dx
x→∞ i=1

xi= 1 + 7i/n

. n
lim Ʃ (1 + 7i/n)(7/n)
x→∞

You cannot have Δx= 8-1/n, because this → 8 as n → ∞. However, you *can* have Δx= (8-1)/n, which → 0 as n → ∞. Do you see what a difference it makes to use parentheses?

Your expression ## \sum f(x_i)\, \Delta x \, dx ## makes no sense: the *integral* has dx in it, but the finite sum should not. Your final expression is also incorrect: the quantity
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^n \left( 1 + \frac{7i}{n} \right) \left( \frac{7}{n} \right)[/tex] does not contain 'x' anywhere, so you cannot have ##\lim_{x \to \infty}## of it! Finally, your sum is a Riemann sum approximation to ##\int f(x) \,dx## for some function f(x); what f(x) is that? It certainly is not ##e^x##.

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
You can use LaTeX to present integrals, limits, and sums in a nice way.

The above is
$$\int_1^8 e^x dx$$
The LaTeX for this is
\int_1^8 e^x dx (with $$ at the front and at the end).
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:

_____n
2. lim Ʃ f(xi)(Δx)dx
x→∞ i=1
The limit should be as n gets large, not x. Also, there should not be a factor of dx. In LaTeX, the correct limit is:
$$ \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^n f(x_i) Δx$$

My LaTeX script: \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^n f(x_i) Δx (again, with a pair of $ at beginning and end.
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
You don't mean 8 - (1/n), so use parentheses: (8 - 1)/n.
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
xi= 1 + 7i/n

____n
lim Ʃ (1 + 7i/n)(7/n)
x→∞

Oh, right.

I left out the e^x! :/

So would it be:

_____n
lim Ʃ (e^(1 + 7i/n))(7/n)
n→∞ i=1

So let me try to say what is going on in words...
So by the Ʃ, we are adding together the area of all the rectangles inside of the curve.

Area of a rectangle= L*W. Every rectangle has a length of (e^(1 + (7i/n)) and a width of
(7/n).

The number of rectangles inside of the curve start from 1 and go until n.
n is a number that approaches infinity.

So we are saying that there are infinity rectangles inside of the curve and that each have a length of (e^(1 + 7i/n)) and a width of (7/n).
We need to add up all of the many tiny rectangles to approximate the area under the curve.

... i does mean the number rectangle you start out on, right...? Like if it's i=1, that means you are summing rectangle #1 all the way through rectangle #n?

If it's i=7, then you are summing rectangle #7 through rectangle #n?

Am I thinking about somthing incorrectly here? Thanks.

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
Oh, right.

I left out the e^x! :/

So would it be:

_____n
lim Ʃ (e^(1 + 7i/n))(7/n)
n→∞ i=1
Yes, this looks right.
So let me try to say what is going on in words...
So by the Ʃ, we are adding together the area of all the rectangles inside of the curve.

Area of a rectangle= L*W. Every rectangle has a length of (e^(1 + (7i/n)) and a width of
(7/n).
Correct.

The number of rectangles inside of the curve start from 1 and go until n.
n is a number that approaches infinity. So we are saying that there are infinity rectangles inside of the curve and that each have a length of (e^(1 + 7i/n)) and a width of (7/n).
We need to add up all of the many tiny rectangles to approximate the area under the curve.
I would rephrase it slightly: the number of rectangles inside the curve is n. We number these rectangles from i=1 to i=n. As n grows, we are increasing the number of rectangles and decreasing their width. As n approaches infinity, the sum of the areas of the rectangles becomes as close as we like to the area under the curve.

The reason I rephrased it like that is that there aren't really infinitely many rectangles. If you had infinitely many of them, then each one would have zero width (and therefore zero area), so our attempt to calculate the area would result in infinity times zero, an undefined operation. Instead, we use finitely many, n rectangles, to compute an area A(n), and then we take the limit of A(n) as n approaches infinity.

... i does mean the number rectangle you start out on, right...? Like if it's i=1, that means you are summing rectangle #1 all the way through rectangle #n?
Yes.

If it's i=7, then you are summing rectangle #7 through rectangle #n?
Right, if the sum went from i = 7 to i = n, you would be adding the areas of rectangles #7 through #n. (This assumes that n >= 7.)

Am I thinking about somthing incorrectly here? Thanks.
No, I think you pretty much understand it correctly.

Related to Express e^x from 1 to 8 as a Riemann Sum. Please, check my work?

1. How do I express e^x from 1 to 8 as a Riemann Sum?

To express e^x from 1 to 8 as a Riemann Sum, you will first need to divide the interval [1, 8] into smaller subintervals. Then, you will need to find the midpoint of each subinterval and evaluate e^x at that point. Finally, sum up all the evaluated values and multiply it by the width of each subinterval.

2. What is the formula for a Riemann Sum?

The formula for a Riemann Sum is: ∑ f(xi)Δx, where f(xi) is the function evaluated at the midpoint of each subinterval and Δx is the width of each subinterval.

3. How do I find the width of each subinterval?

To find the width of each subinterval, you will need to divide the length of the interval by the number of subintervals. For example, if the interval [1, 8] is divided into 4 subintervals, then the width of each subinterval would be (8-1)/4 = 1.75.

4. How many subintervals should I use for a Riemann Sum?

The number of subintervals used for a Riemann Sum depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more subintervals used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, using too many subintervals can also be computationally intensive.

5. How can I check if my answer for a Riemann Sum is correct?

To check if your answer for a Riemann Sum is correct, you can compare it to the exact value of the integral. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to visualize the Riemann Sum and see if it aligns with your approximation. Additionally, you can try using a different number of subintervals to see if the answer improves or becomes closer to the exact value.