Exploring the Perseverance Rover with a 360° View

• Thread starter neilparker62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rover
In summary: Rootless cones" are found on Mars and Iceland.In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting feature found while panning through the Perseverance 360 on Mars, potentially caused by sand settling after a swirl. The topic then shifts to the discovery of "rootless cones" on Mars and Iceland, along with issues accessing a link to further information. One participant expresses interest in the geology of the feature, while another mentions a possible alternative interpretation. The conversation ends with a technical discussion about encryption on a website.
TL;DR Summary
Found this interesting feature when panning through the Perseverance 360.
Martian Anthill.png

Found this interesting feature when panning through the Perseverance 360.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, jim mcnamara, 256bits and 2 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
neilparker62 said:
feature
"Rootless cones" are found on Mars and Iceland.
garvin_ice2%20Earth.jpg

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, jim mcnamara, neilparker62 and 2 others
Keith_McClary said:
"Rootless cones" are found on Mars and Iceland.
Link isn't working for me -- says that it's a secure connection. Do you have to be associated with ASU to have access?

berkeman said:
Link isn't working for me -- says that it's a secure connection. Do you have to be associated with ASU to have access?
worked ok for me ?

Guess I'm just special... o0)

1614790553536.png

berkeman said:
Well, of COURSE you are. :smile:
1614791049932.png

• Informative
Likes berkeman
neilparker62 said:
interesting geology
I have no idea whether that's what it is. My first thought was a dune seen sideways.

berkeman said:

View attachment 279063
That error message indicates that the encryption that the site uses (the 's' in https://) is not matched with any encryption your browser uses.

That particular site also has a non-encrypted address (note the lack of the 's'):
http://marsed.asu.edu/mep/585

• Informative
Likes berkeman and BillTre

Related to Exploring the Perseverance Rover with a 360° View

1. What is the purpose of the Perseverance Rover?

The Perseverance Rover is a robotic vehicle sent to Mars by NASA to explore the Martian surface, collect samples, and search for signs of past microbial life.

2. How does the 360° view feature work?

The 360° view feature allows users to see a full panoramic view of the rover's surroundings on Mars. This is made possible by stitching together multiple images taken by the rover's cameras and creating a seamless, interactive view.

3. What type of technology does the Perseverance Rover use?

The Perseverance Rover is equipped with advanced technology including cameras, spectrometers, and a drill to collect samples. It also has a radioisotope power system to provide energy for its operations on Mars.

4. How long will the Perseverance Rover be on Mars?

The Perseverance Rover is expected to operate on Mars for at least one Mars year, which is equivalent to about 687 Earth days. However, it is designed to last much longer and could potentially operate for several years.

5. What are the potential benefits of the Perseverance Rover mission?

The Perseverance Rover mission has several potential benefits, including advancing our understanding of Mars and its potential for past or present life, testing new technologies for future missions, and paving the way for human exploration of Mars.