Exploring the Mach Principle: Books to Help You Understand

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of Mach's principle in relation to General Relativity. The person asking the question is struggling to understand the concept and is seeking clarification and book recommendations. They are advised to do some research on their own and ask specific questions in order to receive helpful answers.
sadegh4137
some books mention one of a basis of GR is mach principle
i study some text but i can't actually realize it
please explain it for me or introduce some books to refer them
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As you keep getting told when you post these vague questions, if you don't explain what you understand and what you don't, nobody can help you.

Put another way, it's unreasonable to expect someone on the forum to spend a lot of time answering a question if you don't think it's worth your time to craft a good one.

Have you at least looked up "Mach's principle" on Wikipedia?
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach's_principle

That should give you enough to ask specific questions about it.

I think Mach had several versions of his principle and you need to specify which in particular you are referring to.

The Mach principle is a key concept in general relativity (GR) that states that the inertia of an object is influenced by the distribution of matter in the universe. This means that the motion of an object is affected by the gravitational pull of all other objects in the universe, not just the ones in its immediate vicinity. This principle was proposed by the physicist Ernst Mach and has been a subject of debate and exploration in the field of physics.

To better understand the Mach principle and its implications in GR, I would recommend reading "The Meaning of Relativity" by Albert Einstein and "The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time" by Stephen Hawking and George Ellis. These books provide a thorough explanation of the Mach principle and its role in GR, as well as its connections to other concepts such as the cosmological constant and the cosmological principle.

Additionally, "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene also touch upon the Mach principle and its significance in our understanding of the universe.

It is important to note that the Mach principle is a complex and ongoing area of research, and there may not be a definitive answer or explanation for it at this time. However, these books will provide a solid foundation for understanding the principle and its implications in GR. I also recommend seeking out current research and discussions on the topic to further your understanding.

Related to Exploring the Mach Principle: Books to Help You Understand

What is the Mach Principle?

The Mach Principle is a concept in physics that was proposed by Austrian physicist Ernst Mach. It states that the inertia of an object is determined by the distribution of all other matter in the universe.

How does the Mach Principle relate to general relativity?

The Mach Principle is closely related to the theory of general relativity, as it suggests that the gravitational force experienced by an object is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by all other matter in the universe. This idea is fundamental to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

What are some books that can help me understand the Mach Principle?

Some books that can help you understand the Mach Principle include "The Meaning of Relativity" by Albert Einstein, "The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time" by Stephen Hawking and George Ellis, and "The Mach Principle: And the Origin of Inertia" by Julian Barbour.

Is the Mach Principle a proven concept?

The Mach Principle is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. While it is not yet a fully proven concept, it has influenced many important theories and ideas in physics, such as general relativity and cosmology.

Are there any real-world applications of the Mach Principle?

While the Mach Principle itself does not have any direct real-world applications, the theories and concepts that it has influenced, such as general relativity, have had significant impacts on our understanding of the universe and have led to practical applications such as GPS technology and space exploration.