Exploring the Limits of Physics: A Discussion with Joe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the big bang singularity and its differences from a classical black hole. It also touches on the idea of inflation and how it creates matter, potentially in defiance of conservation laws. The beginning of the universe is described as a moderate amount of matter dominated by a scalar field, leading to rapid expansion and the eventual formation of more familiar particles. The conversation ends by acknowledging that there are multiple aspects to consider in understanding the origins of the universe.
DiracFeynman
Hi Everybody,

I hope I'm not being too simplistic and I don't want to stir up a religious debate. We have just derived Einstein's G Law in my graduate course and after seeing how many assumptions we make, it's amazing that so much of our understanding of physics is based on GR. I am left with more questions than answers.

Anyway, as we extrapolate to some "point" in the past; I think that matter, with its immense density, would behave as a black hole right?

But, as we approach a black hole's event horizon doesn't time go to infinity? How do we arrive at a "age of the universe". Why is the Big Bang the most widely accepted theory? With our current understanding (which is pretty much nothing) of what goes on within a black hole there is absolutely no way to falsify this theory it seems.

Let us have a good discussion.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome DF! The big bang singularity [which probably was not a true singularity] is a subject of much interest. It does not, however, behave in the same manner as a 'classical' black hole. At the instant of the big bang, the 'rules of engagement' are not yet in place. The separate forces that govern the current universe were unified [so it is thought] and the energy levels were far beyond anything that has existed since that time. When inflation kicked in [according to current theory], the universe expanded so rapidly that gravity [weakling that it is] was a helpless bystander until it was too big for gravity to reel it back in.

DiracFeynman said:
Anyway, as we extrapolate to some "point" in the past; I think that matter, with its immense density, would behave as a black hole right?

But, as we approach a black hole's event horizon doesn't time go to infinity? How do we arrive at a "age of the universe".

Joe (DiracFeynman)
I don't know that the universe had very much matter in it at the epoch when expansion started----not as much as it does today anyway.
If you extrapolate backwards and concentrate matter you would overestimate the density back then. The catch is that there was inflation.

Inflation creates matter. Inflation scenarios are merely that: scenarios.
But they are widely accepted and they do create matter----seemingly in defiance of conservation.
The scalar field that drives inflation is like a stronger version of the
"dark energy" that we seem to be observing today---the simplest model for it is just a constant energy density.

Any constant or nearly constant energy density has a negative pressure and has an expansive effect on space----and if the density is, say, one joule per cubic meter then with every new cubic meter volume created a new joule of energy comes into existence. Finally when there is a big volume there has been created a lot of energy.

You can try to balance the books by introducing negative gravitational energy but the people who do this kind of scenario-theorizing often do not even bother to balance the books. They are like those talented corporate financial officers one hears about, so few of whom actually go to jail.

Anyway the Beginning Picture that people describe does not look like a whole Universefull of matter squeezed into a tiny cubbyhole.
It is more like a moderate amount of matter, dominated by one of these scalar fields (an almost constant energy density, gradually changing but acting roughly like an extra strong dark energy density).
And the scalar field is strong enough to win and expansion wins and is
actually really fast---big exponential growth in a fraction of a second

and then the scalar field "thermalizes" and turns to a muck of more familiar particles. they in turn begin to slow expansion down, but by then space has expanded and is rapidly expanding and the ordinary matter is thinned out so it can't slow things down very much very quickly.

Looking back, I see Chronos already responded, and much more concisely.
He makes a good point. there are several parts to the story. I will leave it for you to sort out.

Related to Exploring the Limits of Physics: A Discussion with Joe

1. What is the purpose of exploring the limits of physics?

The purpose of exploring the limits of physics is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. It also allows scientists to push the boundaries of what is currently known and potentially discover new phenomena or theories.

2. What are some current limitations in physics that are being explored?

Some current limitations in physics include understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, reconciling the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, and exploring the possibility of extra dimensions in the universe.

3. What techniques are used to explore the limits of physics?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to explore the limits of physics, including conducting experiments with advanced technology, using mathematical models and simulations, and analyzing data from large-scale experiments such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider.

4. What are some potential applications of exploring the limits of physics?

Exploring the limits of physics can lead to advancements in various fields such as technology, medicine, and energy. It can also provide a better understanding of the universe and our place in it.

5. How can the general public engage with the discussion of exploring the limits of physics?

The general public can engage with the discussion of exploring the limits of physics by staying informed about current research and developments, attending public lectures and events, and supporting science education and outreach programs. It is also important for individuals to ask questions and be curious about the world around them.