Exploring the Intersection of Oscillations/Waves & Particles in EM Fields

In summary, the topic could cover the operation of a magnetron in a microwave oven, as well as the cathode ray tube.
nrckls
For an upcoming presentation I am looking for a topic which covers both the field of oscillations/waves and particles in electromagnetic fields.
Do you have any interesting ideas for a possible topic?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

nrckls said:
Do you have any interesting ideas for a possible topic?
The operation of the magnetron in a kitchen microwave oven.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd, nrckls, PeroK and 2 others
Linear accelerators

Likes nrckls and vanhees71
Travelling wave tube amplifier - direct interaction between an electron beam and a slow wave helical structure which transfers energy from the electrons to power down the helix.

Likes nrckls and vanhees71
What academic level is this for, and how long is your presentation meant to be?

Likes nrckls
malawi_glenn said:
What academic level is this for, and how long is your presentation meant to be?
I am in my last year of school (12th grade in Germany) and the presentation is supposed to be about 10 minutes long. It is for my oral examination in physics (called Abitur, like A-levels in England or finals in the USA)

nrckls said:
I am in my last year of school (12th grade in Germany) and the presentation is supposed to be about 10 minutes long. It is for my oral examination in physics (called Abitur, like A-levels in England or finals in the USA)
If you can make sense of this wiki article then there's enough there for a short presentation on the TWT. Ask here for a 'translation' of the more obscure bits but it really is a very straightforward device to get the idea of.

Likes nrckls
How about describing the cathode ray tube?

Likes nrckls
tech99 said:
How about describing the cathode ray tube?
Where do the 'waves' come into it - except for the oscillating magnetic field and the deflection? I guess that, bearing in mind the level of the exercise, the idea of an oscillating field and scanning would be enough for a useful ten minutes of talk.

Likes nrckls
sophiecentaur said:
If you can make sense of this wiki article then there's enough there for a short presentation on the TWT. Ask here for a 'translation' of the more obscure bits but it really is a very straightforward device to get the idea of.
I'll have a look into it, thanks