Exploring the Impact of Moons on James Webb Telescope at Lagrange Point L2

• I
  • Thread starter zuz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    L2
zuz
The James Webb Telescope is in one of Earths Lagrange points, (I believe it's in L2) How does the moons gravity affect this? Do they have to make course corrections?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
L2 is a million miles from Earth and the Earth's mass is about 80 time more than the Moon's. So the Moon does not have much effect on JWST that is different from just having a heavier Earth. That being said, I'm sure that the Moon is accounted for in their calculations. L2 orbits are not completely stable so small corrections would always be needed. The orbit of JWST is not exactly at L2. By staying slightly away from L2, the corrections are always in the same general direction so they don't require reorienting the spacecraft.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
If you typed your question into Google verbatim, you would get an answer. Presumably you did that, and there was something you didn't understand. What would you like us to explain?

No I didn't post my question anywhere else. You guys always have an answer so that's why I came here. Thank you.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you typed your question into Google verbatim, you would get an answer. Presumably you did that, and there was something you didn't understand. What would you like us to explain?
zuz said:
No I didn't post my question anywhere else. You guys always have an answer so that's why I came here. Thank you.
Please always try a simple Google search first; I certainly do for my questions. At the very least, it helps you to post better questions here. Thank you.

Likes Vanadium 50