Exploring Tesla's Autos & Induction Motors

In summary, Tesla's induction motors have a torque constant for every speed, but that's also not how induction motors behave. The converter used to convert the battery's DC to AC might produce 3 phase AC, with 3 phase motors being both light and powerful.
Phellippe Marques
As a EE student, I studied Induction motors: three and single phase. I saw somewhere that Tesla's autos are using induction motors feeded by batteries. But I've never heard about DC induction motors.. I also heard that Tesla autos have torque constant for every speed, but that's also not how induction motors behave. Any Ideas? Thanks!
IMG_9140.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would assume these vehicles use electronics to convert the battery's DC to an AC that can drive the AC motors. Possibly this inverter might produce 3 phase AC, with 3 phase motors being both light and powerful.

Likes Phellippe Marques
Phellippe Marques said:
I saw somewhere that Tesla's autos are using induction motors feeded by batteries. But I've never heard about DC induction motors..
There is an inverter connected to the battery which converts dc into three phase ac.
images (6).png

Likes Phellippe Marques
Thats enlighting for the power supply question. How about the constant torque?

Phellippe Marques said:
How about the constant torque?
This rate of DC-AC conversions are mostly controlled with DSPs in every detail. Phase, frequency, current (even waveform can be changed , if one has some wicked ideas) as function of thrust and speed - you can do as you please as long as the hardware can endure it.

Likes Phellippe Marques
Likes Phellippe Marques and cnh1995
Guys, I understood both the Dc-Ac conversion process in order to feed the 3phases induction motor, and the idea of controling the parameters to keep the output torque constant. I thank you all for the attention and help. Its enough for me, for me, the topic may now be closed

Likes jim hardy

Related to Exploring Tesla's Autos & Induction Motors

1. What are induction motors and how do they work?

Induction motors are a type of electric motor that use electromagnetic induction to generate motion. They work by using an alternating current to create a rotating magnetic field, which then causes the rotor (the rotating part of the motor) to spin and produce mechanical energy.

2. Who is Nikola Tesla and why is he associated with induction motors?

Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor, engineer, and physicist who is best known for his work in developing the modern alternating current (AC) electrical system. He is associated with induction motors because he invented and patented the first practical AC induction motor in 1888.

3. What are the advantages of Tesla's induction motors?

Tesla's induction motors have several advantages over other types of motors, including high efficiency, low maintenance, and a simple design. They also have a high starting torque, making them ideal for powering heavy machinery and vehicles.

4. What is regenerative braking and how does it work in Tesla's electric cars?

Regenerative braking is a system that allows electric vehicles to convert kinetic energy (generated by the vehicle's motion) into electrical energy, which is then stored in the battery for later use. Tesla's electric cars use induction motors to achieve regenerative braking, where the motor acts as a generator to slow down the vehicle and recharge the battery.

5. How have Tesla's induction motors impacted the automotive industry?

Tesla's induction motors have had a significant impact on the automotive industry by making electric vehicles more practical and efficient. Their use in Tesla's electric cars has helped to revolutionize the industry and accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation. Additionally, their simple design and low maintenance requirements have made them a popular choice for other types of vehicles, such as trains and ships.