Exploring Spacetime Equation: Interfering with Mass and Inertia

• Thread starter narrator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of manipulating spacetime to achieve controlled movement and the idea of a warp drive. The concept of UFOs is also mentioned, but it is dismissed as nonsensical and the footage of a UFO over Temple Mount in Jerusalem is deemed to be a fake.
narrator
Hi,

Amateur here. I think Sheldon has reignited my long dormant interest in physics. ;)

Trying to understand just how rigid the spacetime equation is. Is there a way to create interference? Add a variable, the same way adding a proton to a molecule changes the element? I'm thinking that if you could create a local distortion near a mass, it could propel that mass, perhaps with no inertia. A large enough distortion could maybe move a planet. Wild idea?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
NlCK said:

Wow! Thanks Nick.. you've given me a lot to read. Truly fascinating stuff! And lol.. love the idea that a naked singularity would take the lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
NlCK said:
Of course, this does require exotic matter, there is no known way to make the matter that makes up the "warp bubble" remain in the shape of a bubble, and the energy requirements are absolutely absurd.

But it is kinda neat that you can write down something that looks like a Warp Drive on paper :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What got me thinking was the sightings of a UFO over Temple Mount in Jerusalem, as captured from several angles by different people (see YouTube). Fascinating if true.. who knows. UFO's have long been reported as being able to achieve ridiculous acceleration (if you can even call it acceleration - it's like they go from zero to Mach 1 almost instantly, but without the sonic boom).

Supposing for a minute they are real. The only way I can think of to achieve such controlled movement is through some sort of spacetime engineering. Would there be other ways?

narrator said:
What got me thinking was the sightings of a UFO over Temple Mount in Jerusalem, as captured from several angles by different people (see YouTube). Fascinating if true.. who knows. UFO's have long been reported as being able to achieve ridiculous acceleration (if you can even call it acceleration - it's like they go from zero to Mach 1 almost instantly, but without the sonic boom).

Supposing for a minute they are real. The only way I can think of to achieve such controlled movement is through some sort of spacetime engineering. Would there be other ways?
Nah, UFO sightings are nonsensical. They are either easily debunked (e.g. the object was actually closer to the camera than it first appears, or is some other well-known object), or the evidence is just so flimsy as to be nonexistant.

And when you consider how absurdly easy it would be to determine that aliens actually had visited us (all we'd need is to sequence the DNA of a single cell), we can be pretty certain that they haven't yet.

Additionally, the "warp drive", though it kinda sort of works on paper, is pure fantasy when it comes to practical fact.

Chalnoth said:
Nah, UFO sightings are nonsensical.
Additionally, the "warp drive", though it kinda sort of works on paper, is pure fantasy when it comes to practical fact.

I tend to agree that UFO's are a bit of a stretch. That was just background to the question at the end of the post, regarding other possible ways to achieve such controlled movement other than through spacetime engineering.

But on the UFO segue, the footage of the Jerusalem Temple Mount UFO, taken from different parts of the city, is pretty spectacular. Regardless of the eventual explanation, it's pretty cool. ;)

narrator said:
I tend to agree that UFO's are a bit of a stretch. That was just background to the question at the end of the post, regarding other possible ways to achieve such controlled movement other than through spacetime engineering.

But on the UFO segue, the footage of the Jerusalem Temple Mount UFO, taken from different parts of the city, is pretty spectacular. Regardless of the eventual explanation, it's pretty cool. ;)
That footage was faked, by the way:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/02/09/holy-ufo-hoax/

lol.. cool.. an impressive fake

Related to Exploring Spacetime Equation: Interfering with Mass and Inertia

1. What is spacetime equation?

The spacetime equation is a mathematical formula that combines the concepts of space and time into a single entity. It was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity, and it describes the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of mass and energy.

2. How does mass and inertia affect spacetime?

Mass and inertia are two fundamental properties of matter that play a crucial role in shaping the fabric of spacetime. According to Einstein's theory, mass and energy warp the fabric of spacetime, creating a gravitational field that affects the motion of objects within it. Inertia, on the other hand, is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, and it is also influenced by the curvature of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of interfering with mass and inertia in the spacetime equation?

Interfering with mass and inertia in the spacetime equation can have significant effects on the behavior of objects in the universe. By manipulating mass and inertia, we can potentially alter the shape of spacetime and create new possibilities for space travel and exploration.

4. How is the spacetime equation related to the concept of time dilation?

The spacetime equation is closely related to the concept of time dilation, which is the slowing down of time in the presence of a strong gravitational field. The more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational field and the more it warps spacetime. This results in time passing at a slower rate near massive objects, a phenomenon that has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

5. Are there any practical applications of the spacetime equation?

While the spacetime equation is primarily a theoretical concept, it has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and space exploration. By understanding the effects of mass and inertia on spacetime, scientists can make more accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe and develop new technologies and techniques for exploring the cosmos.