Exploring Parallel Worlds: A 14-Year-Old's Perspective

In summary: Yes, photons are considered matter. And no, they don't have infinite gravity because they have no mass.
Leonardo Sidis
I'm reading this book called Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku and in it he explains some complex theories and discoveries without including the math behind it (lucky for me, I probably wouldn't understand it yet anyway). I like it a lot but there are some things I don't fully grasp. He says that as something approaches the speed of light, the energy from its movement is converted into matter and it becomes heavier, eventually approaching infinite mass, and infinite gravity. Why is this? Do photons have mass? Why doesn't light have infinite gravity? Is it possible to understand these things without the math at my level? ...sorry, I'm 14, forgive my ignorance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Leonardo;

Your post sounds very mature for a 14 year old!

Yes, it is possible to get a good understanding of all of this cosmology 'stuff' without the math, but starting with String "M" Theory is probably not the best place to start. The Multiverse and extra dimensional stuff can quickly become very confusing and in my opinion uses too much sci-fi type explanations.

Photons (Light) are massless, so can travel at the speed of light without gaining mass.

Hoe this helps a little.

RussT

RussT said:
Leonardo;
Your post sounds very mature for a 14 year old!
Yes, it is possible to get a good understanding of all of this cosmology 'stuff' without the math, but starting with String "M" Theory is probably not the best place to start. The Multiverse and extra dimensional stuff can quickly become very confusing and in my opinion uses too much sci-fi type explanations.
Photons (Light) are massless, so can travel at the speed of light without gaining mass.
Hoe this helps a little.
RussT

Thanks for the help! Do you know of any good introductory books to string theory and things like that?

Leonardo;

Just Google everything.

Use your "Search" to find all the web stuff and the books...it's all there!

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=22865

This is another forum and this page has tons of sites to click on.

RussT

Leonardo Sidis said:
... He says that as something approaches the speed of light, the energy from its movement is converted into matter ...

Good question from such a young teenager. I'm going to just offer one minor correction, and hope it helps rather than confuses things.
Lot's of people think energy is the same thing as matter because of E=mc^2. But that m doesn't stand for "matter," it stands for mass. Mass is only one attribute of matter, like charge. Just as some things have charge as others don't, some things have mass and other don't.

Thanks! That makes more sense. So when an object approaches the speed of light, the energy from its movement is converted into mass. But what matter has no mass? And are photons considered matter?

Related to Exploring Parallel Worlds: A 14-Year-Old's Perspective

1. What inspired you to explore parallel worlds at such a young age?

As a curious and imaginative 14-year-old, I have always been fascinated by the concept of parallel worlds. I was inspired by various science fiction books, movies, and TV shows that explored the idea of alternate realities and parallel universes.

2. How did you conduct your research for this project?

I conducted my research by reading various articles, books, and scientific papers on the theories and possibilities of parallel worlds. I also interviewed experts in the field and attended seminars and conferences to gain a deeper understanding of the topic.

3. What are some common misconceptions about parallel worlds?

One common misconception is that parallel worlds are just a figment of imagination and do not have any scientific basis. However, there are various theories and experiments that support the existence of parallel worlds. Another misconception is that parallel worlds are exact replicas of our own world, but in reality, they could have completely different laws of physics and alternate versions of ourselves.

4. What are some potential implications of the existence of parallel worlds?

The existence of parallel worlds has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have significant implications for fields such as quantum mechanics, space exploration, and philosophy. It could also open up new possibilities for time travel and alternate histories.

5. Do you believe we will ever be able to visit or communicate with parallel worlds?

While it is currently just a theoretical concept, some scientists believe that we may one day be able to access parallel worlds through advanced technology or by manipulating quantum mechanics. However, it is still a topic of debate and further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand the possibilities of parallel worlds.