Exploring Lie Algebras: Questions about Adjoint Maps

In summary, the conversation is about the structure of Lie algebras and whether it is possible to associate a Lie algebra structure on tangent spaces at points near the identity element or in the same connected component. The idea of using the map Ad for this is discussed, but it may require some modifications. However, it is suggested that instead of using the tangent space at the identity, the algebra of vector fields on the group can be used for the definition of the Lie algebra.
Pietjuh
I've been studying some things about Lie algebras and I've got some questions about it.

We know that for a given Lie group G, the tangent space at the identity has the structure of a Lie algebra, where the Lie bracket is given by [X,Y]=ad(X)(Y). This map ad is the differential at e of the map Ad which is defined by Ad(g)(X) = gXg^{-1}. Now I'm wondering whether it's possible to associate a Lie algebra structure on tangent spaces at points near the identity element, for example in an open set containing e, or for points in the same connected component in which e lies. I don't think you could use the map Ad for it, but perhaps some slight modification is possible??

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see an immediate problem - rather than taking the definition of the Lie algebra L(G) associated with the group G to be the tangent space at the identity, just take it to be the algebra of vector fields on G. Then any vector field [tex]V_X(g)[/tex] which is generated by applying the push-forward [tex]L_{g*}[/tex] to the vector [tex]X \in T_eG[/tex] can equally well be generated by first applying [tex]L_{p^{-1}*}[/tex] to a vector [tex]Y \in T_pG[/tex] and then applying [tex]L_{g*}[/tex].

First of all, it's great to hear that you're exploring Lie algebras! They are a fascinating topic in mathematics and have many applications in various fields. Regarding your questions about adjoint maps, let me try to provide some clarification.

You are correct in thinking that the map Ad cannot be used to define a Lie algebra structure on tangent spaces at points near the identity. This is because the definition of Ad requires a group element g, and points near the identity may not necessarily have a corresponding group element.

However, there is a way to extend the Lie algebra structure to tangent spaces at points near the identity, using the concept of left-invariant vector fields. These are vector fields on the Lie group that are invariant under left translations by group elements. The set of all left-invariant vector fields forms a Lie algebra, known as the Lie algebra of left-invariant vector fields.

Now, using the exponential map, which is a map from the Lie algebra to the Lie group, we can "push forward" this Lie algebra structure to tangent spaces at points near the identity. This is done by taking the tangent space at a point g and identifying it with the tangent space at the identity using the left translation by g.

In summary, while the map Ad cannot be used to define a Lie algebra structure on tangent spaces at points near the identity, we can use the concept of left-invariant vector fields and the exponential map to extend the Lie algebra structure. I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep exploring and asking questions, and you'll continue to deepen your understanding of Lie algebras. Good luck!

Related to Exploring Lie Algebras: Questions about Adjoint Maps

1. What is an adjoint map?

An adjoint map is a linear transformation between two Lie algebras that preserves their Lie bracket operation. It is an important concept in the study of Lie algebras as it allows us to examine the relationship between different Lie algebras.

2. How do you compute the adjoint map?

The adjoint map can be computed by taking the commutator of two elements in the Lie algebra and then applying the map to that commutator. In other words, if we have two elements X and Y in the Lie algebra, the adjoint map is given by ad(X)(Y) = [X, Y].

3. What is the significance of the adjoint map in Lie algebra representations?

The adjoint map is important in Lie algebra representations because it allows us to define a representation of a Lie algebra on itself. This is known as the adjoint representation and is useful in studying the structure and properties of the Lie algebra.

4. Can the adjoint map be extended to other types of algebras?

Yes, the adjoint map can be extended to other types of algebras such as associative algebras and superalgebras. However, the definition of the adjoint map may differ slightly depending on the type of algebra.

5. What are some applications of the adjoint map?

The adjoint map has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of Lie algebras, Lie groups, and their representations. It is also used in differential geometry, quantum mechanics, and other areas of physics to study the symmetries and structures of mathematical objects.