Exploring Computational Physics: Is C++/Python Necessary?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of learning complex numerical methods with C++/Python versus using specialized software like Mathematica for computational physics. The general consensus is that if cost is not a problem, Mathematica is the preferred option due to its versatility and established language. However, for those on a budget, Python and Octave are also mentioned as viable alternatives. The speaker also recommends the book "Computational Methods for Physics" and personally uses Maple due to their employer's site license.
zoltrix
hello

I am interested in computational physics at an amateur level
is it worth while learning complex numerical methods with C++ /Python to solve partial differential equations as well as for other physical applications while a software such as mathematica can do the job for you ?

Technology news on Phys.org
IMO, if there is a well-established, specialized language targeted at your application, it is easier to use. If cost is not a problem, use Mathematica.

FactChecker said:
If cost is not a problem, use Mathematica.
I second this. Mathematica is very versatile and you will be able to get much more out of it.

If you chose to go with Mathematica, I recommend the book Computational Methods for Physics by Joel Franklin.

Likes aaroman, vanhees71 and FactChecker
I got Mathematica in 1995 and I continue to use it today for exploring physics.

Likes DrClaude, vanhees71 and FactChecker
A less expensive alternative is Python. As Mathematica it provides both computer algebra and numerics.

Likes aaroman and Dale
Octave is fun too, it is basically a free version of Matlab

Likes aaroman, CalcNerd, FactChecker and 1 other person
For a very pragmatic reason, I use Maple. My employer has a site license, so I get for free the full version on my office desktop, and on my laptop. I have made extensive use of this both professionally and recreationally.

Likes vanhees71