Exploring Complex Numbers and Their Properties in the Unit Disk

• MHB
  • Thread starter Markov2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses various mathematical problems and their solutions involving complex numbers within the unit circle. These include showing that if $z+\dfrac1z$ is a real number, then $\text{Im}(z)=0$ or $z\in\partial D$, proving that $\left| {\dfrac{{z + w}}{{\overline z w + 1}}} \right| = 1$ when $z\in\partial D$, demonstrating that when $z_1+z_2+z_3=0$ with $z_1,z_2,z_3\in\partial D$, then $\dfrac{1}{{{z_1}}} + \dfrac{1}{{{z
Markov2
I'll be posting problems and my ideas to solve them, probably if no idea exists, I'll need more help please!

Denote $D=\{z\in\mathbb C:|z|<1\}$

1) Show that if $z+\dfrac1z$ is a real number, then $\text{Im}(z)=0$ or $z\in\partial D.$

2) Let $z,w\in\mathbb C$ so that $z\in\partial D.$ Show that $\left| {\dfrac{{z + w}}{{\overline z w + 1}}} \right| = 1.$

3) Let $z_1,z_2,z_3\in\mathbb C$ so that $z_1,z_2,z_3\in\partial D$ and $z_1+z_2+z_3=0.$ Prove that $\dfrac{1}{{{z_1}}} + \dfrac{1}{{{z_2}}} + \dfrac{1}{{{z_3}}} = 0.$

4) Let $A = {\left( {\dfrac{{ - 1 + \sqrt 3 i}}{2}} \right)^n} + {\left( {\dfrac{{ - 1 - \sqrt 3 i}}{2}} \right)^n}.$ Prove that $A=\left\{\begin{array}{rl}2,&\text{if }n\text{ is multiple of }3.\\-1,&\text{Otherwise.}\end{array}\right.$

Attempts:

1) if $z+\dfrac1z$ is a real number, then $z + \dfrac{1}{z} = \overline {z + \dfrac{1}{z}} ,$ does this hold? Would it work if I do $z=x+iy$ ? But I don't see how to show that $z\in\partial D.$

2) It's simple algebra, I just put $z=a+bi$ and $w=c+di$ and show the modulus is 1.

3) I don't know if there's a faster way here, I mean by not setting $z_1=a+bi,$ and so on, is there a faster way to proceed?

4) I have $A = 2\cos \left( {\dfrac{{2\pi n}}{3}} \right)$ so if $n$ is a multiple of 3 the result follows, but I don't see how to conclude the second part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
I'll be posting problems and my ideas to solve them, probably if no idea exists, I'll need more help please!

Denote $D=\{z\in\mathbb C:|z|<1\}$

1) Show that if $z+\dfrac1z$ is a real number, then $\text{Im}(z)=0$ or $z\in\partial D.$

2) Let $z,w\in\mathbb C$ so that $z\in\partial D.$ Show that $\left| {\dfrac{{z + w}}{{\overline z w + 1}}} \right| = 1.$

3) Let $z_1,z_2,z_3\in\mathbb C$ so that $z_1,z_2,z_3\in\partial D$ and $z_1+z_2+z_3=0.$ Prove that $\dfrac{1}{{{z_1}}} + \dfrac{1}{{{z_2}}} + \dfrac{1}{{{z_3}}} = 0.$

4) Let $A = {\left( {\dfrac{{ - 1 + \sqrt 3 i}}{2}} \right)^n} + {\left( {\dfrac{{ - 1 - \sqrt 3 i}}{2}} \right)^n}.$ Prove that $A=\left\{\begin{array}{rl}2,&\text{if }n\text{ is multiple of }3.\\-1,&\text{Otherwise.}\end{array}\right.$

Attempts:

1) if $z+\dfrac1z$ is a real number, then $z + \dfrac{1}{z} = \overline {z + \dfrac{1}{z}} ,$ does this hold? Would it work if I do $z=x+iy$ ? But I don't see how to show that $z\in\partial D.$

2) It's simple algebra, I just put $z=a+bi$ and $w=c+di$ and show the modulus is 1.

3) I don't know if there's a faster way here, I mean by not setting $z_1=a+bi,$ and so on, is there a faster way to proceed?

4) I have $A = 2\cos \left( {\dfrac{{2\pi n}}{3}} \right)$ so if $n$ is a multiple of 3 the result follows, but I don't see how to conclude the second part.

What are you using $\partial D$ to represent?

Mmmm, I think it is for $|z|=1,$ does make sense?

Well for 1. I think it would be easiest to substitute $ z = x + iy$ and see what happens...

Can anybody check my work for 2), 3) and 4) please?

Perhaps we should find a Polynomial with roots $cos(\frac{2n\pi}{3})$

f(x)=x^4-\frac{5}{4}x^2+\frac{1}{4}If we factorize it, we will get:

$(x-\frac{1}{2})(x+\frac{1}{2})(x-1)(x+1)$

You can prove that, when 3|n then A=1 or -1 and the rest is follows, I think... hmm!

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

3)

A huge hint:

$z_1,z_2,z_3$ are points of equilateral triangle(...that question from other post).

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Some better solution for 4:

Put n=3k+1 and n=3k+2 and see what happens!

Related to Exploring Complex Numbers and Their Properties in the Unit Disk

What is complex stuff?

Complex stuff refers to any topic or subject that is difficult to understand or explain. This can include concepts in science, mathematics, technology, or other fields.

Why is complex stuff important?

Complex stuff is important because it often involves cutting-edge research and developments that have the potential to advance our understanding of the world and improve our lives. It also challenges our thinking and encourages critical thinking skills.

How do scientists study complex stuff?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study complex stuff, including experimentation, observation, and mathematical modeling. They also collaborate with other scientists and use advanced technology and equipment to aid in their research.

What are some examples of complex stuff?

Examples of complex stuff include quantum mechanics, string theory, genetics, climate change, and artificial intelligence. These topics involve intricate and interconnected concepts that require a deep understanding to fully grasp.

How can I better understand complex stuff?

To better understand complex stuff, it is important to have a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts and principles related to the topic. It can also be helpful to break down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable pieces, and to seek out additional resources such as books, articles, or experts in the field.