Exploring a QM particle in Motion with GR

In summary: The equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense.
PRB147
I encountered a problem in reading Phys.Lett.B Vol.755, 367-370 (2016).
I cannot derive Eq.(7), the following snapshot is the paper and my oen derivation,
I cannot repeat Eq.(7) in the paper.
Filho.png

##g^{\mu\nu}## is diagonal metric tensor and##g^{\mu\mu}## is the function of ##\mu## only, ##\mu=x,y,z##.
My derivation is as follows, but I cannot repeat their result and my result contains the cross term differential ##\partial_x \partial_y##.

Filho2.png

(The first line is their result), while the last line is mine.
Would anyone can help me to elucidate this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the three horizontal lines after ##\mathcal{D}^2## mean in eq 7? It sometimes means that something is true by definition (identical to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bar

If this is the case, you can not derive eq. 7.

PRB147 said:
andgμμ is the function of μ only
indices are not variables, thus the metric is not a function of µ.

Last edited:
Likes PRB147 and Vanadium 50
PRB147 said:
I cannot derive Eq.(7)
That's because the equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense. And it seems that the authors of the paper are not well versed in tensor calculus. To see how Eq. (7) should be correctly written and derived, google Laplace-Beltrami operator.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes strangerep, PRB147, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
PRB147 said:
My derivation is as follows
Please use the PF LaTeX feature to post equations directly, not as images. There is a LaTeX Guide link at the lower left of each post window.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
malawi_glenn said:
What does the three horizontal lines after ##\mathcal{D}^2## mean in eq 7? It sometimes means that something is true by definition (identical to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bar

If this is the case, you can not derive eq. 7.indices are not variables, thus the metric is not a function of µ.
thank you for your comment, I thought the author's meaning is ##g_{xx}## depends only on x; ##g_{yy}## depends only on y; etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Demystifier said:
That's because the equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense. And it seems that the authors of the paper are not well versed in tensor calculus. To see how Eq. (7) should be correctly written and derived, google Laplace-Beltrami operator.
Thank you very much, I will read the relevant references according to your guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
@PRB147, your posts #5 and #6 are a mess. Please pay more attention to proper quoting and formatting.

PeterDonis said:
@PRB147, your posts #5 and #6 are a mess.
Well, they aren't now because I have used magic moderator powers to edit them and clean them up. But my advice still stands.

Likes PRB147
PRB147 said:
thank you for your comment, I thought the author's meaning is ##g_{xx}## depends only on x; ##g_{yy}## depends only on y; etc.
No it does not...

Likes PRB147