Explore Second Life: A Virtual World by Linden Lab

In summary, Second Life is a video game that attempts to reproduce the entirety of the real world in a virtual environment. There are a lot of philosophical and economic issues involved.
ehrenfest
I thought this internet application created by http://lindenlab.com/" was interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_life

http://secondlife.com/

It takes the idea of a video game to an extreme. Video games normally either capture some specific portion of real life (i.e. life car-racing, or war, or airplane flying) really well or try to introduce like a complete fantasy world. "Second Life" attempts to reproduce the entirety of the real world in a video game with little embellishment or anything. This has been done before in games like "The Sims", but I think the scale on which "Second Life" tries to capture normal human life is new.

People are using Second Life to actually replace real-world interaction. For example, businesses are holding meetings in the Second Life virtual world, educators are having classes there, etc. I'm sure they save tons of money doing that.

It allows people to create an identity as a character in a virtual environment. For people who are physically handicapped, this might be an amazing opportunity for them to experience normal lives.

But, there are really a lot of philosophical issues involved. Should we be worried about people getting so absorbed into their "second life" that they forget about their "first life" in the real world? I don't know whether I should be scared of Second Life or consider a innovative and beneficial use of technology and the internet. There is always the Matrix scenario lurking in the back of my mind...I am not really sure whether Second Life is a step towards that or not.

There are also some interesting economic issues this raises. Apparently, people are making transactions on Second Life and converting that to real world money at "several thriving online Linden dollar exchanges". I would be interested to learn more about how that works.

Does anyone here have a "Second Life" account? What do people think of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Professionals use services like Centra to hold virtual meetings and virtual classroom teaching. I'm on a session right now.

I can't imagine anyone serious using a game.

Er, I wouldn't quite say that Second Life tries to capture normal human life. It sounds like you've been mostly reading Linden Labs promotional materials.

It's a nifty idea and particularly the way that it was the first online environment, years and years ago, to develop its own internal economy is interesting. Though I am prone to wonder how that economy is holding up at the moment.

Most of the parts of it I've been to have been pretty much deserted and not especially interesting. I'm just not interested in attending concerts or anything like that in this fashion - I like interacting with people the old-fashioned way, through text on a forum. :biggrin:

I uploaded it some time ago to check out the online universities e.g. MIT - type Massachusetts Institute of Technology not MIT. Pretty impressive however no one was there.

I know some people who use it, but when I tried it kept crashing on me, and I didn't really know what to do. I tried wandering around, but couldn't really figure out how anything worked. So, once it crashed enough times, I just uninstalled it and moved on with my first life.

There was a story recently about a couple who got divorced because the husband had cyber sex with somebody else on second life.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/11/is_it_adultery.html

Moonbear said:
I know some people who use it, but when I tried it kept crashing on me, and I didn't really know what to do. I tried wandering around, but couldn't really figure out how anything worked. So, once it crashed enough times, I just uninstalled it and moved on with my first life.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. You wander around until it crashes.

CaptainQuasar said:
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. You wander around until it crashes.

Oh, okay. How is that different from my first life then? :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Oh, okay. How is that different from my first life then? :rolleyes:

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/lol.gif
[/URL]

I still have my Ak-47 and my tank and my harley stashed somewhere in Second Life.. haven't logged in in years though

Two lives? You people are aiming too low.

Evo said:
Professionals use services like Centra to hold virtual meetings and virtual classroom teaching. I'm on a session right now.

You use Centra? That's where my online school has classes and lectures :biggrin:.

The way I discovered Second Life was at a web developers presentation today where this guy gave us a tour of his virtual house and the island that it was built on. What was really funny was that he wanted to show us something on the other side of the island so he was like "should I fly there or should I teleport there?" and then he decided to fly there since that was more interesting. However, he got lost flying there and we all watched him fly around the island several times trying to figure out where he was. And then he was like cursing himself for not just teleporting there. I thought it was hilarious.

Math Jeans said:
You use Centra? That's where my online school has classes and lectures :biggrin:.
Yes, all of the major companies use it. It's very user friendly and is reliable. Some of our smaller vendors use other applications for live presentations, but Centra seems to be a top choice. We use it for all of our training.

Evo said:
Yes, all of the major companies use it. It's very user friendly and is reliable. Some of our smaller vendors use other applications for live presentations, but Centra seems to be a top choice. We use it for all of our training.

Really? We all think that its glitchy and terrible :biggrin:.

ehrenfest said:
But, there are really a lot of philosophical issues involved. Should we be worried about people getting so absorbed into their "second life" that they forget about their "first life" in the real world? I don't know whether I should be scared of Second Life or consider a innovative and beneficial use of technology and the internet. There is always the Matrix scenario lurking in the back of my mind...I am not really sure whether Second Life is a step towards that or not.
Until it can feed me, keep me warm, and change my diapers, I doubt I will forget my first life. There are too many things to list that Second Life does not replace. But I do frequently ponder what virtual life will be like in a thousand years and beyond. The Matrix plotted machines taking over the world by force. Yet force might not be needed. Just how toxic a virtual existence could be is yet to be gauged.

Looks rather pointless and boring to me. I could only play the Sims game for a few days before I felt like I wasted my first life.

Related to Explore Second Life: A Virtual World by Linden Lab

1. What is Second Life?

Second Life is a virtual world created by Linden Lab where users can create and customize their own avatars, interact with other users, and explore a vast, user-generated 3D world.

2. How do I get started with Second Life?

To get started, you will need to create a free account on the Second Life website and download the official viewer. Once you have created your avatar, you can start exploring the virtual world.

3. Can I make money in Second Life?

Yes, you can make money in Second Life by creating and selling virtual products, providing services, or participating in events and activities. However, your earnings may vary depending on your level of involvement and success in the virtual world.

4. Is Second Life safe to use?

Second Life has safety protocols in place, such as age verification and a community standards policy, to ensure the safety of its users. However, as with any online platform, it is important to practice caution and use common sense when interacting with others in the virtual world.

5. Are there any educational or research opportunities in Second Life?

Yes, Second Life has been used as a platform for education and research by universities and organizations. It offers a unique and immersive environment for virtual classrooms and simulations, as well as opportunities for data collection and analysis in various fields.