Experimental physics - simplified compound pendulum formula

In summary, the students attempted to find an approximate equation for the period time of a compound pendulum using measurements and theory. However, they ran into a problem when r tended to infinity. They were then hinted to use log linearization to find b.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

We've been given an assignment to work out a formula for the period time of a compound pendulum. This is right in the beginning of an introductory physics course which means we haven't covered inertia or torque yet. So we're just supposed to find an approximate relation between the period and stuff we are "supposed to" know.

To help us, we have a big, assymetric metal plate with holes drilled in various places for pivoting, and some measuring instruments.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We did some measurements etc and found that the distance from the center of mass to the pivot point was to be our sole independent variable (for small angles, the amplitude had no impact).

When plotting the distance to the pivot and the period time, we found that it did not follow a traditional mathematical pendulum behaviour. The periodicity had a global minimum (at r = ~0.3m).

Some speculation and theorizing led us to the conclusion that as r tends to infinity, our function should tend to a mathematical pendulum, so we're probably looking for something like

[itex]2pi\sqrt{r/g} + a/r^{b}[/itex]

Where a, b are positive real numbers.

We were now hinted to use log linearization to find b. Here's the problem though... I don't really understand how to do it when I have multiple terms on one side of the equation. Can anyone give me a clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would Dimensional Analysis help?

I don't think it would, we're not trying to figure out which variables to use, just what exponent to raise it to and what constant to multiply it with.

I was questioning the form of your second term. How should it have units of time unless you want dimensional constants but that's messy?

Some speculation and theorizing led us to the conclusion that as r tends to infinity, our function should tend to a mathematical pendulum, so we're probably looking for something like

As r tends to ∞ doesn't your first term tend to ∞ too?

rollingstein said:
As r tends to ∞ doesn't your first term tend to ∞ too?

Yes, the first term tends to inf while the second term tends to zero, i.e. term one plus term two tends to term one.

rollingstein said:
I was questioning the form of your second term. How should it have units of time unless you want dimensional constants but that's messy?

We'll deal with that later.

:/ :/

[itex]T=2pi\sqrt{r/g} + a/r^{b}[/itex]

[itex]T - ( 2pi\sqrt{r/g} )= a/r^{b}[/itex]

[itex]ln ( T - ( 2pi\sqrt{r/g} ) )= ln(a) - b* ln(r) [/itex]

Plot [itex]ln ( T - ( 2pi\sqrt{r/g} ) ) [/itex] versus ln(r) and use the slope and intercept?

I'd just do a nonlinear numerical fit myself. Linearizing and plotting is a bit passe. :-p

Related to Experimental physics - simplified compound pendulum formula

1. What is an experimental physics compound pendulum?

An experimental physics compound pendulum is a simple machine that consists of a rigid rod or wire with a weight attached to the end. The rod is suspended from a fixed point, allowing the weight to swing back and forth like a pendulum. It is used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of oscillation and to measure gravitational acceleration.

2. What is the simplified compound pendulum formula?

The simplified compound pendulum formula is used to calculate the period of oscillation (T) of a pendulum. It is given by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is the simplified compound pendulum formula derived?

The simplified compound pendulum formula is derived from the principles of simple harmonic motion. It assumes that the pendulum has a small amplitude and that the mass of the pendulum is concentrated at its center of mass. These assumptions simplify the equations and allow for the use of the simplified formula.

4. What factors affect the period of a compound pendulum?

The period of a compound pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the amplitude of the pendulum's swing. It is also affected by the mass of the pendulum, but the simplified formula assumes that the mass is concentrated at the center of mass, so it does not directly affect the period.

5. How accurate is the simplified compound pendulum formula?

The simplified compound pendulum formula is accurate for small amplitude swings and for pendulums with a concentrated mass at the center of mass. However, it may not give accurate results for pendulums with larger amplitudes or for pendulums with distributed mass. In those cases, a more complex formula may be used to calculate the period of oscillation.