Experience the Magic of Across The Universe - A Must-See Film!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: HD-DVD coming out?In summary, If this movie is playing in your city, GO SEE IT! It is directed by Julie Taymor, known for her work on The Lion King, and is visually stunning and engaging. The plot involves music and is not easily described, but it is not your typical musical/romance. The movie has received rave reviews and is considered one of the best of the year. It is recommended to watch in a high-quality theater, but can also be enjoyed at home when released on DVD or HD-DVD.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
If this movie is playing in your city, GO SEE IT!

I'd say that other than Ratatouille, this is the best movie of the year that I've seen (and this includes the last Pirates movie). And this movie is not even a Disney movie! How's that?!

It is directed by Julie Taymor, who brilliantly created and directed the stage version of The Lion King (ah, so that's where the Disney connection comes in!). This movie is unlike any other, and I don't think I should describe it more than that. Suffice to say that you'll be quite familiar with the music that runs through the whole movie.

It is visually stunning, and thoroughly engaging. GO SEE IT!

Zz.

Space news on Phys.org
Perfect timing. I'm going to see it today. (And I did love Ratatouille.)

ZapperZ said:
If this movie is playing in your city, GO SEE IT!

I'd say that other than Ratatouille, this is the best movie of the year that I've seen (and this includes the last Pirates movie). And this movie is not even a Disney movie! How's that?!

It is directed by Julie Taymor, who brilliantly created and directed the stage version of The Lion King (ah, so that's where the Disney connection comes in!). This movie is unlike any other, and I don't think I should describe it more than that. Suffice to say that you'll be quite familiar with the music that runs through the whole movie.

It is visually stunning, and thoroughly engaging. GO SEE IT!

Zz.

Ummm, Zapper, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Google Movies warned me that this movie is a "Musical/Romance" which, to me, means a "horror movie" :) But since you seem to know your movies I'll take your recommendation. When I googled it, I didn't find any science involved in the movie's plot, so I'm curious, is cosmology/physics a theme of this movie? And any more detail about what exactly is so great about it would be appreciated.

p.s. I've not seen Ratatouille or any of the Pirate movies

RetardedBastard said:
Ummm, Zapper, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Google Movies warned me that this movie is a "Musical/Romance" which, to me, means a "horror movie" :) But since you seem to know your movies I'll take your recommendation. When I googled it, I didn't find any science involved in the movie's plot, so I'm curious, is cosmology/physics a theme of this movie? And any more detail about what exactly is so great about it would be appreciated.

p.s. I've not seen Ratatouille or any of the Pirate movies

Nope.. I'm not going to describe it any more than what I've said. I will, however, tell you that even IF it is a "Musical/Romance", it is not your usual musical/romance. The closest that I can compare it with visually is Moulin Rouge, but even THAT isn't an adequate description.

I probably ought to spank you for not seeing Ratatouille. Not seeing any of the Pirates movies, I can understand. But Ratatouille? Did you know that it broke all box-office records in France, and stayed at the #1 position for a whole month? That's unusual for France and the French, especially for an american animation movie ABOUT a french subject, which had never before been this well-received there. So that should tell you a lot about Ratatouille.

Zz.

Last edited:
I've been seeing the trailer everywhere for a while now. Would love to see it, but it's not playing in my area. :frown:

Here's the trailer if anyone wants to check it out.
http://movies.aol.com/movie/across-the-universe/25070/main

ZapperZ said:
Nope.. I'm not going to describe it any more than what I've said.
OK, so THAT'S how it's going to be between us, huh?

I will, however, tell you that even IF it is a "Musical/Romance", it is not your usual musical/romance. The closest that I can compare it with visually is Moulin Rouge, but even THAT isn't an adequate description.
LOL... but, Moulin Rouge I've not seen either.

I probably ought to spank you for not seeing Ratatouille.
LOL. You'll have to excuse the poor state of my movie-life.

Not seeing any of the Pirates movies, I can understand. But Ratatouille? Did you know that it broke all box-office records in France, and stayed at the #1 position for a whole month? That's unusual for France and the French, especially for an american animation movie ABOUT a french subject, which had never before been this well-received there. So that should tell you a lot about Ratatouille.
Pretty interesting bit of trivia. I pretty much assumed Ratatouille was just another clone of the Disney/Pixar kiddie film genre. I guess I'll check that one out too if it is THAT good. But if I don't like them, I get to spank YOU for suggesting them!

RetardedBastard said:
Pretty interesting bit of trivia. I pretty much assumed Ratatouille was just another clone of the Disney/Pixar kiddie film genre. I guess I'll check that one out too if it is THAT good. But if I don't like them, I get to spank YOU for suggesting them!

Promises, promises!

:)

Zz.

Doc Al said:
Perfect timing. I'm going to see it today. (And I did love Ratatouille.)

So, what did you think of the movie?

Zz.

two thumbs up!

ZapperZ said:
So, what did you think of the movie?
Loved it. Very creative and well done.

Doc Al said:
Loved it. Very creative and well done.

Well maybe YOU will tell us what it's about?

berkeman said:
Well maybe YOU will tell us what it's about?

<ZapperZ looks at Doc Al>

Don't you dare!

:)

Zz.

Not a word from me. :cool: (I almost slipped before, but caught myself.)

Well, I'm definitely interested! Would this be okay to watch on Integral's 50" inch Plasma TV [or whatever he's up to now :biggrin:], or is this a theater must?

I would say that this is something you want to watch at a very good theater, meaning stadium seating and good sound.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I would say that this is something you want to watch at a very good theater, meaning stadium seating and good sound.

Zz.

That pretty much leaves out everything within a 100mi of here. Looks like my Home Theater will have to do. When is the DVD out?

Integral said:
That pretty much leaves out everything within a 100mi of here. Looks like my Home Theater will have to do. When is the DVD out?

We could arrange stadium-like seating in your livingroom.

Ivan Seeking said:

And I can arrange for the #1 foam hands if required

Ivan Seeking said:

Sure you could sit on the back of the couch, while Tsu sits between your legs on the couch, Riki of course sits under the couch. .. Guess that buts you in the balcony!:approve:

Related to Experience the Magic of Across The Universe - A Must-See Film!

1. What is the premise of Across The Universe?

The film follows the story of a young man from Liverpool who moves to New York City during the 1960s and becomes involved with the anti-war movement and the counterculture of the time. Along the way, he falls in love and experiences the highs and lows of the decade.

2. Is Across The Universe historically accurate?

While the film is set during the 1960s and incorporates many real events and figures from that time, it is not meant to be a historically accurate representation. Rather, it is a musical fantasy that uses the music of The Beatles to tell a story and explore themes of love, war, and social change.

3. Who directed Across The Universe?

The film was directed by Julie Taymor, known for her work in theater and film, including the Broadway musical adaptation of The Lion King. She also co-wrote the screenplay with Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais.

4. What makes Across The Universe a must-see film?

Across The Universe is a visually stunning and emotionally powerful film that uses the music of The Beatles in a unique and creative way. It also tackles important themes and issues that are still relevant today, making it a must-see for music and movie lovers alike.

5. What is the significance of the title, Across The Universe?

The title is a reference to the song "Across The Universe" by The Beatles, which is featured in the film. It also represents the journey and experiences of the characters, who come from different backgrounds and find themselves in the midst of a tumultuous time period in America.