Expectation Value/ Evaluating Gaussian Integral

The first integral is equal to 0 because it is an odd function and the limits of integration are -\infty to +\infty?Yes, exactly. So you're left with just the second integral, which is a constant. So the expectation value is just x_0. In summary, we discussed the problem of finding the expectation value <x> for a given wave function and its normalization constant. After correcting an initial error in the wave function, we used a u-substitution to find the normalization constant and then applied it to the integral for <x>. Through integration by parts, we found that the expectation value is equal to x_0.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

I'm re-hashing a problem from my notes; given the wave function

[tex]\psi(x)=Ne^{-(x-x_0)/2k^2}[/tex]

Find the expectation value <x>.

Homework Equations

The normalization constant N for this is in my notes as [tex]N^2=1/\sqrt{2 \pi k^2}[/tex] [tex]N=1/(2\pi k^2)^{(1/4)}[/tex] It should be solved through a u substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]<x>=\int \psi(x)^{*}x \psi(x) dx=\int x |\psi(x)|^{2} dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int x N^2 e^{-(x-x_0)^2/k^2} dx[/tex]
[tex]=N^2 \int x e^{-(x-x_0)^2/k^2} dx[/tex]
[tex]u=x-x_0, du=x dx[/tex]
[tex]<x>=N^2 \int e^{-u^2/k^2}du[/tex]
This is where I stumble. Assuming I wrote the problem down correctly the expectation value should come out to <x>=x0. But I'm just not seeing it which leads me to believe that I'm not solving the final integral correctly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
N^2?

Woops, type-o on my part. I've edited the original post...the question should be correct now.

atomicpedals said:
[tex]<x>=N^2 \int e^{-u^2/k^2}du[/tex]

where did that x go? you subbed u = x - xo but you didnt set x = to u + xo

atomicpedals said:
[tex]u=x-x_0, du=x dx[/tex]
This is obviously wrong.

Try using u=(x-x0)2, or use the substitution you used (but do it correctly).

If I set [tex]u=x-x_0[/tex] and say [tex]x=u+x_0[/tex] I then get [tex]xdx=du[/tex] don't I?

Yeah, moment of clarity here... let me re-do it with [tex]u=(x-x_0)^2[/tex].

atomicpedals said:
If I set [tex]u=x-x_0[/tex] and say [tex]x=u+x_0[/tex] I then get [tex]xdx=du[/tex] don't I?

no, just du = dx

So in a fit of mathematical confusion I decided to take the problem all the way back to the beginning. And I might be closer to having done it properly...I hope.

Given my wave function [tex]\psi(x)=Ne^{-(x-x_0)/2k^{2}}[/tex] I needed to determine the normalization constant N which should be found via [tex]\int|\psi(x)|^{2}dx=1[/tex] so I found

[tex]\int|Ne^{-(x-x_0)/2k^{2}}|^{2}dx=1[/tex]
[tex]\int|N^{2}e^{-(x-x_0)^2/k^2}|dx=N^{2}\int e^{-(x-x_0)^2/k^2}dx[/tex]
My substitution was [tex]u=\frac{x-x_0}{k}, kdu=dx[/tex] and then
[tex]N^{2}\int ke^{-u^2}du=N^{2}k\int e^{-u^2}du=N^{2}k\sqrt{pi}=1[/tex]
[tex]N=\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\sqrt{k}}[/tex] and [tex]N^2=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}k}[/tex]
Similarly then, the expectation value <x> is
[tex]<x>=\int \psi(x)^{*}x \psi(x) dx=\int x |\psi(x)|^{2} dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int x N^{2} e^{-(x-x_0)^2/k^{2}} dx[/tex]
[tex]=N^{2} \int x e^{-(x-x_0)^2/k^{2}} dx[/tex]
[tex]u=\frac{x-x_0}{k}, kdu=dx[/tex]
[tex]<x>=N^{2} \int xk e^{-u^{2}}du[/tex]
[tex]<x>=N^{2} xk \int e^{-u^{2}}du=N^{2} xk \sqrt{pi}=\frac{kx\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{\pi}k}=x[/tex]

Success?

Last edited:
No, you made several errors. You can't pull x out of the integral because x is a function of u.

What's the initial wave function? In one step, you essentially said (ex)2 = ex2, but that's incorrect since (ex)2 = e2x.

It's clearly been a long time since I've done much with u-subs. How would I handle the x in the integrand? (Though that may be immaterial to the greater error with the exponent)

The wave function
[tex]\psi(x)=Ne^{-(x-x_0)/2k^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\psi(x)^{2}=N^{2}e^{-(x-x_0)/k^{2}}[/tex]
This then brings me back to my original stumbling point of choosing an appropriate substitution.

The problem with that wave function is that it diverges as x goes to negative infinity. It's not normalizable. Are you sure you don't mean
[tex]\psi(x) = Ne^{-(x-x_0)^2/2k^2}[/tex]
If so, after you make the substitution, you find the normalization constant the way you did above.

When finding <x>, you do the substitution, but you have to now write x in terms of u.

Oh, wow, yes. I did mean [tex]\psi(x) = Ne^{-(x-x_0)^2/2k^2}[/tex] (clearly I've been looking at this too long) This would then square to [tex]\psi(x)^2 = N^2e^{-(x-x_0)^2/k^2}[/tex]. Is the normalization constant N I found in the first part correct (success despite myself...although I'm suspecting not)?

Yes, the two mistakes canceled each other out. :smile:

Now that's refreshing, so wrong I was right! :smile:

Ok, going back to the expectation value then; I have the dangling x in the integrand post substitution [tex]N^{2}k\int x e^{-u^{2}}du[/tex] how do I handle the x? Solve for x in terms of u? And since it's been about 7 years since I took Calc II I may need the basic lesson here.

Last edited:
Try setting x in terms of u. I didn't follow the whole thread, but I believe u=(x-xo)/k. So solve for x in terms of u, put that in and the integral should be more manageable... though you'll still need integration by parts, no way around that.

Right on,
[tex]u=\frac{x-x_0}{k}[/tex]
[tex]x=ku+x_0[/tex]
And so,
[tex]N^{2}k\int ku+x_0 e^{-u^{2}}du[/tex]

Use parentheses!
[tex]N^2 k\int_{-\infty}^\infty (ku+x_0) e^{-u^{2}}\,du = N^2 k^2\int_{-\infty}^\infty ue^{-u^{2}}\,du + N^2 kx_0\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-u^{2}}\,du[/tex]Can you see by inspection why the first integral is equal to 0?

Oh wow, that is fantastically elegant!

Related to Expectation Value/ Evaluating Gaussian Integral

1. What is the concept of "expectation value" in science?

The expectation value, also known as the mean or average value, is a measure of central tendency in statistics. It represents the average outcome of a random variable and is calculated by summing the products of each possible outcome and its corresponding probability.

2. What is the significance of evaluating a Gaussian integral in scientific research?

Gaussian integrals, also known as normal distributions, are commonly used in scientific research to model natural phenomena and experimental data. They provide a way to estimate the probability of a given outcome and can help identify patterns and trends in data.

3. How do you evaluate a Gaussian integral?

To evaluate a Gaussian integral, you can use a variety of methods such as the substitution method, integration by parts, or completing the square. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the integral and the desired level of precision.

4. What are the key properties of Gaussian integrals?

Some key properties of Gaussian integrals include symmetry, where the integral is equal to its mirror image, and the central limit theorem, which states that the sum of a large number of independent random variables will have a Gaussian distribution. Additionally, Gaussian integrals are closed under linear operations, making them useful in many scientific applications.

5. Can Gaussian integrals be used for non-Gaussian distributions?

Yes, Gaussian integrals can be used to approximate integrals for non-Gaussian distributions, especially if the distribution is close to a normal distribution. However, for highly skewed or fat-tailed distributions, other methods may be more appropriate.