Existence uniqueness wronskian

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving the equation y''-4y=12x. The person asking for help is unsure about their attempt at a solution and is seeking feedback. Another person suggests that theorem 3.1.1 may be relevant, but the first person is unsure about using c=-3 in their solution. They are hoping for a response within 3 hours as the homework is due soon.
bl4ke360

Homework Statement

y''-4y=12x

Homework Equations

I don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imageshack.us/a/img7/944/20130207102820.jpg

I'm not sure if I did this right, I'm putting this here to make sure. Please respond within 3 hours if you can because it will be due.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

bl4ke360 said:

Homework Equations

I don't know

Really? I would have thought this "Theorem 3.1.1" would be relevant.

The rest of the answers seem fine.

Karnage1993 said:
Really? I would have thought this "Theorem 3.1.1" would be relevant.

The rest of the answers seem fine.

Well theorem 3.1.1 is a paragraph long, and not really an equation either. I'm not sure about letting c=-3 though, the only reason I did is because wolfram had it as part of the answer but I don't see how.

Related to Existence uniqueness wronskian

1. What is the significance of the Wronskian in determining uniqueness of solutions in a system of differential equations?

The Wronskian is a determinant that can be used to determine if a set of solutions is linearly independent, which is a necessary condition for uniqueness of solutions in a system of differential equations. If the Wronskian is non-zero at a given point, then the solutions are linearly independent and the system has a unique solution at that point.

2. How does the Wronskian relate to the existence of solutions in a system of differential equations?

If the Wronskian is non-zero for all points in the domain, then the solutions are linearly independent and the system has a unique solution for all points in the domain. This means that the existence of solutions in a system of differential equations is directly related to the non-zero value of the Wronskian.

3. Can the Wronskian be used to determine existence and uniqueness for all types of differential equations?

No, the Wronskian is primarily used for linear systems of differential equations. For non-linear systems, other methods such as the method of characteristics or the Cauchy-Kovalevskaya theorem may be used to determine existence and uniqueness of solutions.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the use of the Wronskian to determine existence and uniqueness?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in the use of the Wronskian to determine existence and uniqueness. In order for the Wronskian to be a valid determinant, the solutions must satisfy the specified boundary conditions. If the boundary conditions are not satisfied, then the Wronskian may not accurately reflect the uniqueness of solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Wronskian to determine existence and uniqueness?

Yes, there are several limitations to using the Wronskian. It can only be used for linear systems of differential equations, and it is not always a reliable indicator of uniqueness. In some cases, the Wronskian may be non-zero but the solutions may not be unique. Additionally, the Wronskian may not be a valid determinant if the solutions are not smooth or if the boundary conditions are not satisfied.