Evaluation of Infinite sum of Inverse Trig. Series.

In summary: We can use the fact that $\arctan(x)+\arctan(y)=\arctan\left(\frac{x+y}{1-xy}\right)$ to get:$$=\arctan\left(\frac{3/2}{1-1/4}\right)+\arctan\left(\frac{5/2}{1-1/9}\right)+\arctan\left(\frac{7/2}{1-1/16}\right)+...$$$$=\arctan(3)+\arctan(5)+\arctan(7)+...=\frac{\pi}{4}+\cot^{-1}(3)$$In summary, the given series
juantheron
How can we prove $$\displaystyle \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{19}\right)+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{39}\right)+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{67}\right)+...\infty = \frac{\pi}{4}+\cot^{-1}(3)$$

My Trial: First we will calculate $\bf{n^{th}}$ terms of Given Series, $$7,19,39,76$$

I have got $4n^2-8n+7$

So we can Write the given series as $$\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{r=1}^{n}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{4n^2-8n+7}\right)$$

But I did not understand how can i solve it

Help me

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
How can we prove $$\displaystyle \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{19}\right)+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{39}\right)+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{67}\right)+...\infty = \frac{\pi}{4}+\cot^{-1}(3)$$

My Trial: First we will calculate $\bf{n^{th}}$ terms of Given Series, $$7,19,39,76$$

I have got $4n^2-8n+7$

So we can Write the given series as $$\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{r=1}^{n}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{4}{4n^2-8n+7}\right)$$

But I did not understand how can i solve it

Help me

Thanks

Your general term isn't correct. $4n^2+3$ fits better.

So,you have to evaluate the following sum:
$$\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \arctan\left(\frac{4}{4r^2+3}\right)=\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \arctan\left(\frac{1}{r^2+3/4}\right)=\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \arctan\left(\frac{(r+1/2)-(r-1/2)}{1+(r+1/2)(r-1/2)}\right)$$
$$=\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \arctan\left(r+\frac{1}{2}\right)-\arctan\left(r-\frac{1}{2}\right)$$
This is a telescoping series which should be easy to evaluate.

Last edited:

Related to Evaluation of Infinite sum of Inverse Trig. Series.

1. What is an infinite sum of inverse trigonometric series?

An infinite sum of inverse trigonometric series is a mathematical expression that consists of an infinite number of terms, each of which contains an inverse trigonometric function (such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) raised to a power.

2. Why is it important to evaluate infinite sums of inverse trigonometric series?

Evaluating infinite sums of inverse trigonometric series is important for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems involving trigonometric functions. It also has applications in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

3. What is the process for evaluating an infinite sum of inverse trigonometric series?

The process for evaluating an infinite sum of inverse trigonometric series involves using various mathematical techniques, such as substitution, integration, and series expansions, to simplify the expression into a more manageable form. Then, the resulting series is evaluated using known mathematical identities and techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to evaluating infinite sums of inverse trigonometric series?

Yes, there are limitations to evaluating infinite sums of inverse trigonometric series. In some cases, the series may not converge to a finite value, making it impossible to evaluate. Additionally, complex series with multiple trigonometric functions may be difficult to evaluate and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are some common applications of infinite sums of inverse trigonometric series in scientific research?

Infinite sums of inverse trigonometric series have applications in fields such as signal processing, differential equations, and celestial mechanics. They are also used in calculating the values of integrals and solving differential equations that involve trigonometric functions.