Evaluating Sum from j=1 to n: i=k

• Thread starter whatisreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the sum ∑##_{j=1}^{n} \delta_{ij} \delta_{jk}## where 1≤i≤n and 1≤k≤n has two possible answers depending on whether i and k are equal. If i and k are equal, the sum is equal to 1. Otherwise, the sum is equal to 0. This can be written as ##\delta_{ik}##.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

Evaluate

∑##_{j=1}^{n} \delta_{ij} \delta_{jk}## where 1≤i≤n and 1≤k≤n and

##\delta_{ij}## and ##\delta_{jk}## = 1 if i=j

0 otherwise

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty unsure how to do this. I assume k and i are constant. If that's the case, wouldn't this sum always be zero unless k and i are equal? And 1 if they are equal? So does that mean there are two answers, depending on something that hasn't been specified (i.e. whether i and k are equal)?

Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
If that's the case, wouldn't this sum always be zero unless k and i are equal? And 1 if they are equal?
That is the correct answer. You can write is as ##\delta_{ik}##

Likes whatisreality
Samy_A said:
That is the correct answer. You can write is as ##\delta_{ik}##
Brilliant, thank you!

Related to Evaluating Sum from j=1 to n: i=k

1. What is the purpose of evaluating the sum from j=1 to n: i=k?

The purpose of evaluating this sum is to find the total value of a series of numbers where the variable i is equal to a constant value k. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How do you evaluate the sum from j=1 to n: i=k?

To evaluate this sum, you would first substitute k for i in the expression. Then, you would plug in different values for j from 1 to n and add up all the resulting values to get the final sum.

3. What are some real-life applications of evaluating the sum from j=1 to n: i=k?

This type of sum can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the total cost of a series of items where each item has a constant price.

4. Can the value of n be any number when evaluating the sum from j=1 to n: i=k?

Yes, the value of n can be any positive integer. This allows for flexibility in the number of terms included in the sum and allows for more accurate calculations.

5. What is the difference between evaluating the sum from j=1 to n: i=k and evaluating the sum from j=1 to n: i=j?

The difference lies in the values used for i. In the first case, i is a constant value (k) while in the second case, i is a variable (j). This means that the first sum will have a fixed value while the second sum will vary depending on the values of j.