Evaluating Integral on Parabolic Curve: Im(z)dz

In summary: Otherwise, you have the idea exactly right.In summary, the problem is to evaluate the contour integral of Im(z) dz along the parabolic curve y = x^2, where the path goes from z_o = 1 + i to z_1 = 3 + 9i. The relevant equations are int.[a to b] z(t)z'(t) dt and f(z(t)) = u(z(t)) + i*v(z(t)). The attempt at a solution involves parametrizing the path and finding the derivative, then evaluating the integral as int [from 1 to 3] (t^2*i)(1 + 2ti) dt. However, the definition of Im(z) is incorrect,
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

evaluate the contour integral

int.cont. Im(z) dz

where cont. is the path from the point z_o = 1 + i to the point z_1 = 3 + 9i

along the parabolic curve y = x^2. sketch the contour

Homework Equations

int.[a to b] z(t)z'(t) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I parametrized z(t) = t + t^2*i and runs 1 <= t <= 3

z'(t) = 1 + 2ti

Here is where I get confused

I know Im(z(t)) = t^2*i, but do I also have to do Im(z'(t)) = 2ti?

so I am unsure whether to evaluate

int [from 1 to 3] Im(z(t))*Im(z'(t)) dt

or

int [from 1 to 3] Im(z(t))*(z'(t)) dt

Also, since we are integrating the imaginary part only, how does the sketch differ from a contour integral of let's say z(t)dt

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are being confused by the fact that the function you are integrating takes the imaginary part of its argument. Think about how you would solve the problem generally, look at f(z) instead of Im(z). Im(z) is just a special case.

If you were integrating f(z), would you then also take f(z') (If that makes sense)?

Also, your equation under 'relevant equations' is not quite right. The equation
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}z(t)z'(t)dt[/tex]
does not take into account that you are looking at the imaginary part. How should this equation look for a general f(z)?

Hi,

I 've a question here:
sin (z) / (z^15)

How to find singularities; locale etc?
Related to this theory?

for general f(z)

isnt it

int [ a to b ] [u(t) + iv(t)] dt

=

int [a to b] u(t) dt + i* int [ a to b] v(t) dt

then I am just solving

i* int [ a to b] v(t) z'(t) dt

?

Thanks

squaremeplease said:
for general f(z)

isnt it

int [ a to b ] [u(t) + iv(t)] dt

=

int [a to b] u(t) dt + i* int [ a to b] v(t) dt

then I am just solving

?

Thanks
How are you defining u(t) and v(t)? Is it f(z(t)) = u(z(t)) + i*v(z(t)), or z(t) = u(t) + i*v(t) ? Depending on which one you mean, your last equation may be correct. Your first two equations, though, are missing something. How do you convert an integral 'dz' to an integral 'dt'?

please ignore the first two equations as they were pertaining to f(t) not f(z(t)). I know u have to add the derivative of z(t).

in the last equation,

u(t) and v(t) are defined in accord to

f(z(t)) = u(z(t)) + i*v(z(t))

my final integral looks like this

int [from 1 to 3] (t^2*i)(1 + 2ti) dt

is this correct? thanks for the help!

Last edited:
You have the idea exactly right. There is a minor problem with your interpretation of Im(z). The way it is defined is that for z = x + i*y (x and y real), Im(z) = y, not Im(z) = i*y. You are treating it like it is the second case.

Related to Evaluating Integral on Parabolic Curve: Im(z)dz

1. What is a parabolic curve?

A parabolic curve is a type of curve that follows the shape of a parabola, which is a U-shaped mathematical function.

2. How do you evaluate an integral on a parabolic curve?

To evaluate an integral on a parabolic curve, you first need to find the equation of the parabola and then substitute it into the integral. You can then use integration techniques to solve the integral.

3. What is the significance of Im(z)dz in the integral on a parabolic curve?

Im(z)dz is the imaginary part of the integral on the parabolic curve. It represents the vertical component of the curve and is used to calculate the area under the curve.

4. Can the integral on a parabolic curve have a complex value?

Yes, the integral on a parabolic curve can have a complex value if the curve is defined by complex numbers. In this case, the integral may involve both real and imaginary parts.

5. What are some real-world applications of evaluating integrals on parabolic curves?

Evaluating integrals on parabolic curves is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the force of a projectile, determining the optimal shape for a bridge, and analyzing the cost and revenue of a business.