Evaluating a limit with a factorial

In summary: So yes, we can take $C = \dfrac{R^M}{M!}$, and obtain $\dfrac{R^n}{n!} \leq C\dfrac{R}{n}$It's not really going to matter, as soon as $n$ gets much larger than $CR$ (which is *still* a constant, so $n$ *will* get bigger eventually, because the reals are an Archimedean field), the ratio $\dfrac{CR}{n}$ is going to (eventually) get very small;(for an official "epsilon" proof, you would take $n >> \dfrac{CR}{\
tmt1
We are starting sequences, and in one of the examples we have this limit:

$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{R^n}{n!}$$

We let $M$ equal a non-negative integer such that $ M \le R < M + 1$

I don't get the following step:

For $n > M$, we write $Rn/n!$ as a product of n factors:

$$\frac{R^n}{n!} = (\frac{R}{1} \frac{R}{2} ... \frac{R}{M}) (\frac{R}{M + 1}) (\frac{R}{M + 2}) ... (\frac{R}{n}) \le C(\frac{R}{n})$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Since $R < M+1$ all the factors $\dfrac{R}{M+k}$ for $k = 1,\dots,n-M-1$ are less than $1$, so we can replace them all by $1$.

That just leaves the factors $\dfrac{R^M}{M!}$ and $\dfrac{R}{n}$.

Thus $\dfrac{R^n}{n!} \leq \dfrac{R^{M+1}}{M!}\cdot \dfrac{1}{n}$

and we can let $C$ be the constant $\dfrac{R^{M+1}}{M!}$ (what this constant will be depends on what $R$ is).

The important thing about problems like this is that we're just looking for *some* bounding constant, it doesn't have to be a *tight* bound.

Deveno said:
Since $R < M+1$ all the factors $\dfrac{R}{M+k}$ for $k = 1,\dots,n-M-1$ are less than $1$, so we can replace them all by $1$.

That just leaves the factors $\dfrac{R^M}{M!}$ and $\dfrac{R}{n}$.

Thus $\dfrac{R^n}{n!} \leq \dfrac{R^{M+1}}{M!}\cdot \dfrac{1}{n}$

and we can let $C$ be the constant $\dfrac{R^{M+1}}{M!}$ (what this constant will be depends on what $R$ is).

The important thing about problems like this is that we're just looking for *some* bounding constant, it doesn't have to be a *tight* bound.

In that case, shouldn't it evaluate to $\frac{R^n}{n!} \le \frac{C}{n} $ where $C$ equals $\dfrac{R^{M+1}}{M!}$ instead of $\frac{R^n}{n!} \le \frac{CR}{n} $ ?

tmt said:
In that case, shouldn't it evaluate to $\frac{R^n}{n!} \le \frac{C}{n} $ where $C$ equals $\dfrac{R^{M+1}}{M!}$ instead of $\frac{R^n}{n!} \le \frac{CR}{n} $ ?

Oops, it looks like I lumped too many $R$'s together (or I missed the $R$ in the numerator in the original problem).

So yes, we can take $C = \dfrac{R^M}{M!}$, and obtain $\dfrac{R^n}{n!} \leq C\dfrac{R}{n}$

It's not really going to matter, as soon as $n$ gets much larger than $CR$ (which is *still* a constant, so $n$ *will* get bigger eventually, because the reals are an Archimedean field), the ratio $\dfrac{CR}{n}$ is going to (eventually) get very small;

(for an official "epsilon" proof, you would take $n >> \dfrac{CR}{\epsilon}$ so that:

$\dfrac{R^n}{n!} \leq \dfrac{CR}{n} < (CR)\dfrac{\epsilon}{CR} = \epsilon$), which would show the limit is (rigorously) zero.

The thing to realize here, is that no matter how big a constant $R$ is, we can't exponentiate such an $R$ fast enough to overtake the factorial (factorials grow very fast), although for large values of $R$, the numerator may start growing faster "at first" (that why we need to be clever about picking $M$).

Sorry about the mix-up (can I blame my cell phone? No? How about Alzheimer's?).

Related to Evaluating a limit with a factorial

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical operation denoted by an exclamation mark (!) after a number. It is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to that number. For example, 5! (read as "five factorial") is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do I evaluate a limit with a factorial?

To evaluate a limit with a factorial, you first need to rewrite the expression in terms of a ratio of two factorials. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and mathematical properties of limits to simplify the expression and find the limit.

3. Are there any special cases when evaluating a limit with a factorial?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when evaluating a limit with a factorial. If the limit involves a factorial in both the numerator and denominator, you can use the quotient rule to simplify. If the factorial is in the exponent, you can use the logarithm function to rewrite the expression and then evaluate the limit.

4. Can I use L'Hôpital's rule when evaluating a limit with a factorial?

Yes, L'Hôpital's rule can be used to evaluate a limit with a factorial. However, it is important to note that the rule only applies when the limit is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. If the limit is not in an indeterminate form, L'Hôpital's rule cannot be used.

5. Are there any alternative methods for evaluating a limit with a factorial?

Yes, there are alternative methods for evaluating a limit with a factorial. Some of these include using the squeeze theorem, using Taylor series, or using the binomial theorem. These methods may be more efficient or easier to use depending on the specific limit and factorial involved.