Error in numerical approximation of an integration

In summary: R(f) = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} R_n(f) = \frac{b-a}{2} f'(k)where k is some point in the interval (a,b), as required. I hope this helps to clarify the solution for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know.In summary, we have found the error R_n(f) in the approximation of the integral of f in [a,b] using n rectangles of width h and height f(x_i), and have expressed it as a function of f'(k), where k is some point
garrus

Homework Statement

[tex]a,b\in R, a<b, n\in N\\ h=\frac{b-a}{n} , x_i = a+ih , i=0..n \\
f\in C^1[a,b]
[/tex]
we approximate the integral of f in a,b with [itex]Q_n(f) = h\left[f(x_1) + f(x_1) + ... + f(x_n)\right]
[/itex]
Find the error [itex]R_n(f) = \int_a^bf(x)dx - Q_n(f)[/itex], as function of the first derivative of f, evaluated at a point [itex] k , k \in (a,b) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At problems where the function to be integrated is interpolated, you can get an error estimate from the corresponding error analysis of polynomial interpolation.
If I'm not mistaken, this approximation is adding up rectangles of width h and height [itex]f(x_i)[/itex],
which i guess could be considered as dividing up f in n segments of width h, and interpolating f in each segment by a constant polynomial.
From right to left, since [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] isn't used in the approximation.

The sum of the individual errors in each segment would sum up to the total approximation error of the analytical integration.
However,the error in each segment is an expression of the 1st derivative of f on a point in that segment,that i calculated in another exercise:
[tex]R(f) = \int_a^bf(x)dx - Q(f) = (\frac{a^2}{2} - b f(b) ) f'(k) , \\k\in (a,b)[/tex]

So the final result will be a sum of factors of the form [itex]c f'(k_i) , k_i \in {x_i,x_i+h} , c\in R[/itex], contradicting the solution form required : a function of [itex]f'(k) , k\in (a,b)[/itex].

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The error in the approximation of the integral can indeed be estimated using the error analysis of polynomial interpolation. As you correctly noted, the approximation in this case is adding up rectangles of width h and height f(x_i), which can be thought of as dividing f into n segments and interpolating each segment with a constant polynomial.

To find the error in each segment, we can use the error formula for polynomial interpolation, which states that the error at a point k is given by:

E_n(k) = \frac{f^{(n+1)}(\xi)}{(n+1)!}(x-x_0)(x-x_1)...(x-x_n)

where \xi is some point in the interval [a,b]. In our case, we have n segments, so the total error will be the sum of the individual errors in each segment, which can be written as:

R_n(f) = \sum_{i=0}^{n} E_1(k_i)

where k_i is some point in the interval [x_i, x_i+h].

Now, to express this error in terms of f'(k), we can use the mean value theorem for derivatives, which states that for a function f that is continuous and differentiable on [a,b], there exists a point c in the interval (a,b) such that:

f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}

In our case, we can rewrite this as:

f'(c) = \frac{f(x_i+h)-f(x_i)}{h}

Using this, we can express the error in each segment as:

E_1(k_i) = \frac{f'(c_i)}{2}h^2

where c_i is a point in the interval [x_i, x_i+h].

Substituting this into our previous equation, we get:

R_n(f) = \sum_{i=0}^{n} \frac{f'(c_i)}{2}h^2

Now, since h = (b-a)/n, we can rewrite this in terms of f'(k) as:

R_n(f) = \frac{b-a}{2n} \sum_{i=0}^{n} f'(k_i)

where k_i is some point in the interval [x_i, x_i+h].

Finally

Related to Error in numerical approximation of an integration

1. What is numerical approximation of an integration?

Numerical approximation of an integration is a method used to approximate the value of an integral (the area under a curve) using numerical techniques. It involves dividing the integral into smaller parts and using mathematical formulas to calculate the approximate value.

2. Why is there an error in numerical approximation of an integration?

There can be errors in numerical approximation of an integration due to the limitations of the chosen method or algorithm. It is impossible to obtain an exact value using numerical techniques, so there will always be some level of error.

3. What are the different sources of error in numerical approximation of an integration?

The sources of error in numerical approximation of an integration can include rounding errors, truncation errors, and convergence errors. Rounding errors occur when numbers are rounded off during calculations, truncation errors occur when a limited number of terms are used in a series, and convergence errors occur when the chosen method does not converge to the exact solution.

4. How can we reduce the error in numerical approximation of an integration?

There are several ways to reduce the error in numerical approximation of an integration. One way is to use a more accurate method or algorithm, such as Gaussian quadrature or Simpson's rule. Another way is to increase the number of subintervals used in the approximation. Additionally, using a smaller step size or increasing the precision of calculations can also help reduce error.

5. What are the limitations of numerical approximation of an integration?

Numerical approximation of an integration has some limitations, such as the inability to find an exact solution and the dependence on the chosen method and step size. It is also limited by the accuracy and precision of the computer used for calculations. Additionally, some integrals may be difficult or impossible to approximate using numerical techniques.