Equivalence Relations on Z - Are There Infinite Equivalence Classes?

In summary, we are determining if the given relations are equivalence relations on the set of integers. For the first relation, we find that it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, and there are infinite equivalence classes. For the second relation, we find that it is reflexive, but not symmetric or transitive, ruling it out as an equivalence relation.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Deciede if the following are equivalence relations on Z. If so desribe the eqivalence classes
i) a[itex]\equiv[/itex] b if [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex]
ii) a[itex]\equiv[/itex] b if b=a-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] so its reflexive

[itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] so its symmetric

[itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] and [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|c\right|[/itex] then [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|c\right|[/itex] for all values a,b and c elemets of Z so its transitive.

Are there infinite equivalence classes??

ii) a=a so its reflexive
b=a-2 [itex]\neq[/itex] a=b-2 so its not symetric, am i right in thinking this?
Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
gtfitzpatrick said:

Homework Statement

Deciede if the following are equivalence relations on Z. If so desribe the eqivalence classes
i) a[itex]\equiv[/itex] b if [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex]
ii) a[itex]\equiv[/itex] b if b=a-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] so its reflexive

[itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] so its symmetric

[itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] and [itex]\left|b\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|c\right|[/itex] then [itex]\left|a\right|[/itex] = [itex]\left|c\right|[/itex] for all values a,b and c elemets of Z so its transitive.

Are there infinite equivalence classes??
Yes. Can you describe them? Simply listing a few to show the pattern would be sufficient.
ii) a=a so its reflexive
a=a-2?
b=a-2 [itex]\neq[/itex] a=b-2 so its not symetric, am i right in thinking this?
Yes.

For (i):
What elements(s) of Z is/are equivalent to 3?
What elements(s) of Z is/are equivalent to 7?
What elements(s) of Z is/are equivalent to 0?
What elements(s) of Z is/are equivalent to -5?
...​

For (ii):
This relation is not transitive either.​

Thanks for the replies.
So i need to say there are infinity equivalent classes such as -3 equivalent to 3; -5 equivalent to 5 or 10 is equivalent to -10 under the relation.

for ii) i only need to show 1 of the 3 properties doesn't hold, right? or should i show whether all 3 hold or not just for clarity?

gtfitzpatrick said:
Thanks for the replies.
So i need to say there are infinity equivalent classes such as -3 equivalent to 3; -5 equivalent to 5 or 10 is equivalent to -10 under the relation.
Basically, yes, though your instructor may cringe at your grammar. ;)

The equivalence classes are subsets consisting of all elements that are equivalent to each other. So in this case, they'd be {0}, {1,-1}, {2,-2}, and so on.
for ii) i only need to show 1 of the 3 properties doesn't hold, right? or should i show whether all 3 hold or not just for clarity?
Right. You need to show only one requirement doesn't hold to rule out the relation being an equivalence relation.

Grammer isn't a strong point of mine :)
Thanks a mill

Related to Equivalence Relations on Z - Are There Infinite Equivalence Classes?

What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation between two elements that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that for any element x, it is related to itself (reflexive), if x is related to y, then y is also related to x (symmetric), and if x is related to y and y is related to z, then x is also related to z (transitive).

What is an example of an equivalence relation?

An example of an equivalence relation is the relation "is the same age as" between people. This relation is reflexive because everyone is the same age as themselves, symmetric because if person A is the same age as person B, then person B is also the same age as person A, and transitive because if person A is the same age as person B and person B is the same age as person C, then person A is also the same age as person C.

What is the difference between an equivalence relation and an order relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation that groups elements into equivalence classes, while an order relation is a relation that arranges elements in a specific order. In an equivalence relation, all elements within an equivalence class are considered equal, while in an order relation, elements are ranked from least to greatest or vice versa.

How are equivalence relations used in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are used in mathematics to classify and group elements that share certain characteristics. They are also used to define mathematical structures and to prove theorems. For example, in algebra, equivalence relations are used to define equivalence classes, which are necessary for defining quotient structures such as quotient groups and quotient rings.

What are some real-life applications of equivalence relations?

Equivalence relations have many applications in real life, including in social sciences, computer science, and linguistics. In social sciences, equivalence relations can be used to group people into categories based on shared characteristics, such as age, race, or nationality. In computer science, equivalence relations are used in data structures and algorithms for efficient data organization and retrieval. In linguistics, equivalence relations are used to classify words and phrases into semantic categories.