Equivalence relation with the Cartesian product of a set

In summary: The definition is pretty straightforward.In summary, the relation ~ is defined on the set A×A such that (a,b)~(c,d) if and only if ad=bc. This relation is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, proving that it is an equivalence relation on A×A.
unawareness

Homework Statement

Let A be the set that contains all rational numbers, but not zero. Let (a,b),(c,d) [itex]\in[/itex] A×A. Let (a,b)[itex]\tilde{}[/itex](c,d) if and only if ad = bc. Prove that [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] is an equivalence relation on A×A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution just needs to show reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. My problem is I don't get how to go between elements of A and elements of A×A.

The solution, according to my teacher, is:

Reflexivity - (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (a,b) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] ab = ba

I don't understand this. Is it because (I will probably unsatisfactorily define this) from the information in the problem, all cartesian products follow: (x[itex]_{1}[/itex],y[itex]_{1}[/itex]) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (x[itex]_{2}[/itex],y[itex]_{2}[/itex]) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] x[itex]_{1}[/itex]y[itex]_{2}[/itex] = y[itex]_{1}[/itex]x[itex]_{2}[/itex] ?

So, the relation is the mapping of two elements of A×A to a product of elements from A? I don't understand what the relation is. Is it a mapping? I'm very confused how I'm supposed to get from (a,a) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (a,a) to aa = aa. a is an element of A, but (a,a) is an element of A×A. I can't... even... comprehend... anything about how these two things are related. I understand that if A = {a,b} then A×A = {(a,a),(a,b),(b,a),(b,b)} (i think). But I don't get how elements of A and A × A can imply things about each other. I don't know how to work with elements between two sets of different dimension, I guess, is what I'm saying. I'm assuming A is one dimensional and A×A is two dimensional. I mean... I can't do things like a[itex]\bullet[/itex](b,b) to get something? Or is that equal to (a[itex]\bullet[/itex]b,a[itex]\bullet[/itex]b)? This is assuming there's a distributive property available. I don't know how it just automatically would be available, though. Like I guess if it's like matrices and scalars. But how does (a,a) get represented in terms of non-ordered pair, a?

Symmetry - (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (c,d) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] ad = bc [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] bc = ad [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] (c,d) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (a,b)

I don't follow this, either. I feel like nothing happened to prove anything. If it's this simple I don't know why it needs to be proved. I don't know why he elaborated anything.

Maybe, is it because of something like this:

(a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (c,d) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] ad = bc , information from problem
ad = bc = bc = ad [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (ad = bc) = (bc = ad) , i don't know... this step is weird to me
(c,d) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (a,b) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] bc = ad , I'm assuming this information is given from my example with x's and y's which is equivalent to the information given in the problem, but easier for me to visualize.

With all that information, then I could feel more comfortable with the solution. I just don't quite understand why some of the things are just assumed to be equal to each other. I don't really understand why ab = bc can imply bc = ad. I don't understand the equals sign, I guess. Is it just something like these two things will always be each other. They will never not be each other?

The bigger problem is why can (c,d) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (a,b) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] bc = ad? Is this just something I'm assuming, so I can prove this is an equivalence relation? The problem only says (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (c,d) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] ad = bc. Again it seems my confusion is arising from when it is appropriate to say two things are equal to each other. So, (c,d) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (a,b) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] bc = ad, is just an assumption? Why am I assuming this particular thing? Why can I not assume like: (c,d) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (a,b) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] ab = cd ? What if for some strange reason, that's how it worked? Is it possible for it to work like that? It doesn't seem consistent with anything, but I guess what I'm asking is why is it impossible?

Transitivity - (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (c,d) and (c,d) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (e,f)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] ad = bc and cf = de
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] adf = bcf and bcf = bde
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] adf = bde [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] af = be [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (e,f)
d [itex]\neq[/itex] 0

Okay... he's just introducing another element of A×A, (e,f). I guess I'm supposed to assume (c,d) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (e,f) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] cf = de. Probably because that's how (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (c,d) works. Then there's the concept of right and left multiplication. I don't know why proof is necessary, though. I mean... if you just assume everything works the same way as (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (c,d) , then you just should already know that (a,b) [itex]\tilde{}[/itex] (e,f) will work out to be af = be. I don't get why all that work is necessary. If you're just operating under the assumption that this is how everything works, then everything will work this way. I feel like I'm missing some sort of concept. Also, why does right multiplication by f work the same for ad and bc? What if, for some reason, adf = adf, but bcf = a rabbit, and adf [itex]\neq[/itex] a rabbit. Is this possible somehow?

Thanks to anyone who dares try to help me. Lol.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relation isn't a mapping from AxA to A. It's really a mapping from (AxA)x(AxA)->(true,false). (a,b)~(b,a) is true if ab=ba by the definition of the relation, and since ab=ba is always true for rationals (i.e. elements of A) so (a,b)~(b,a) is always true. I'm not sure why you are so severely confused.

Related to Equivalence relation with the Cartesian product of a set

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a type of relation that holds between elements of a set. It is a binary relation that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. In simpler terms, it means that for any given set, there is a way to group its elements into subsets that are considered "equivalent" to each other.

2. What is the Cartesian product of a set?

The Cartesian product of a set is a mathematical operation that combines two sets to form a new set. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is defined as the set of all ordered pairs where the first element comes from the first set and the second element comes from the second set. For example, the Cartesian product of the sets {1, 2} and {3, 4} would be {(1,3), (1,4), (2,3), (2,4)}.

3. How is an equivalence relation related to the Cartesian product of a set?

An equivalence relation with the Cartesian product of a set means that the relation is defined on the Cartesian product of the set with itself. In other words, the elements of the set are compared to themselves to determine if they are equivalent or not. This is often used in mathematics to define and study mathematical structures such as groups, rings, and fields.

4. What are some examples of equivalence relations using the Cartesian product of a set?

One example is the relation "congruence modulo n" on the set of integers, where two integers are considered equivalent if they have the same remainder when divided by n. Another example is the relation "parallel" on the set of lines in Euclidean geometry, where two lines are considered equivalent if they do not intersect.

5. How is an equivalence class defined using the Cartesian product of a set?

An equivalence class is a subset of a set that contains all elements that are considered equivalent to each other under a given equivalence relation. In the context of the Cartesian product of a set, an equivalence class would be a subset of the Cartesian product that contains all ordered pairs where the elements are considered equivalent. For example, in the relation of congruence modulo n, the equivalence class of 7 would be the set {(7, 0), (7, n), (7, 2n), ...}.