Equations with multiple absolute value operators

In summary, the conversation is about solving an inequality that involves absolute values and other numbers outside the absolute values. The person is having trouble arranging the equations for the second scenario and has tried a method that did not give the correct result. The expert suggests using three separate intervals to solve the inequality and the person agrees that this is a valid and analytical method. The problem is then solved.
pinsky
Hello there. I'm having some problems with absolute values when they contain multiple "abs" operators and some other numbers outside the "abs"-es.

For example:

[tex]\left | x+2 \right | - \left | x \right | > 1[/tex]

If i check it for the positive scenario, the result is true for all x-es.

[tex] x+2 - x > 1 [/tex]

I can't conceptually see how to arrange the equations for the second scenario.

I've tried the following

[tex]-x-2 < 1 + x [/tex]

but that didn't give the right result. The correct result is -1/2<x

Physics news on Phys.org
pinsky said:
Hello there. I'm having some problems with absolute values when they contain multiple "abs" operators and some other numbers outside the "abs"-es.

For example:

[tex]\left | x+2 \right | - \left | x \right | > 1[/tex]

If i check it for the positive scenario, the result is true for all x-es.

[tex] x+2 - x > 1 [/tex]

I can't conceptually see how to arrange the equations for the second scenario.

I've tried the following

[tex]-x-2 < 1 + x [/tex]

but that didn't give the right result. The correct result is -1/2<x

I would write the inequality as |x + 2| > |x| + 1.

You can get rid of the absolute values by looking at three separate intervals: -2 < x, -2 < x < 0, and x > 0. Each of these intervals defines one case. The final answer will be the union of the solution sets for the three cases.

So is that the general way of doing it?

It seams a bit like a non analytical method :P

This technique uses the definition of the absolute value, so there's nothing non-analytical about it.

Very well.

Thank you for helping.

SOLVED

Related to Equations with multiple absolute value operators

1. What are equations with multiple absolute value operators?

Equations with multiple absolute value operators are mathematical expressions that contain two or more absolute value symbols. These equations often involve variables and require solving for multiple possible solutions.

2. How do I solve equations with multiple absolute value operators?

To solve equations with multiple absolute value operators, you must first isolate the absolute value expressions on each side of the equation. Then, you can set up two separate equations, one with the positive value and one with the negative value, and solve for the variables. The solutions will be the values that satisfy both equations.

3. Can equations with multiple absolute value operators have more than two solutions?

Yes, equations with multiple absolute value operators can have more than two solutions. The number of solutions will depend on the number of absolute value expressions in the equation. For example, an equation with three absolute value expressions may have up to six solutions.

4. How do I check if my solutions for an equation with multiple absolute value operators are correct?

To check if your solutions are correct, you can plug them back into the original equation and see if they satisfy it. If they do, then they are valid solutions. Additionally, you can graph the equation and see if the solutions intersect with the curve at the given points.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving equations with multiple absolute value operators?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving equations with multiple absolute value operators. One is when the absolute value expressions on both sides of the equation cancel out, resulting in no solution. Another is when the absolute value expressions on one side of the equation simplify to a single value, resulting in one solution. Additionally, equations with absolute value expressions inside other absolute value expressions require extra steps to solve.